Non resident Questions

ckmorley

From my time as a pro-gun activist, and my "fanny pack" court case, I'm rather knowledgeable about ILL gun laws as they pertain to IL Residents.;

I have been a WI resident for the last few years. I have a WI DL, a WI wife and my neighbors have never treated me like a FIL , apparently pro-gun, pro-liberty, laid-back people fit in here:-)

Anyhow, my wife and I might be taking a road trip down to Chicago soon, to see the museums, etc.

Can anyone tell me the IL laws for non-resident transport of guns?

I'll confirm with my own reading later, but I'm looking for info.

Former Illinois-Subject

CKMorley

Even not in city limits, as far as I know all of IL has the same transport laws. Unaccesible, Cased, Unloaded... ammo can be in same container, just not in the gun. We usually have our ammo in a seperate container anyway just in case we run into an uninformed LEO.

State law is inaccessible OR unloaded/encased OR non-functioning.

Chicago law is ands in place of the ors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You need to have the weapon absolutely useless and broken down to the point that the only way you or your loved ones would be protected is by throwing the slide at whomever is trying to harm you. It's the "Chicago Way" and that's how we roll. :headbang1:

From my time as a pro-gun activist, and my "fanny pack" court case, I'm rather knowledgeable about ILL gun laws as they pertain to IL Residents.;

I have been a WI resident for the last few years. I have a WI DL, a WI wife and my neighbors have never treated me like a FIL , apparently pro-gun, pro-liberty, laid-back people fit in here:-)

Anyhow, my wife and I might be taking a road trip down to Chicago soon, to see the museums, etc.

Can anyone tell me the IL laws for non-resident transport of guns?

I'll confirm with my own reading later, but I'm looking for info.

Former Illinois-Subject

CKMorley

Here' s the ISP brochure. The question about non-residents is on page two.

ISP Brochure.pdf

Print and put it in your glove box if you're traveling to Illinois. It might help to educate a LEO that's a little behind the times.

Note that the brochure says "In order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended that the firearm be unloaded, enclosed in a case and not immediately accessible or broken down in a non-functioning state." That's to cover their butts to get you by all municipal ordinances you might pass through. The state law remains for everyone unloaded, enclosed in a case.

AB

“Lawful transportation” means the transportation of a firearm by a person:

(1) in compliance with section 8-20-090; or

(2) who has a valid FOID card, a CFP and firearm registration certificate, if applicable, and the firearm is: (i) broken down in a nonfunctioning state; (ii) not immediately accessible; and (iii) unloaded and in a firearm case.

8-20-090 Interstate transportation of firearms.

It shall not be a violation of this chapter if a person transporting a firearm or ammunition while engaged in interstate travel is in compliance with 18 U.S.C.A. §926A. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that any person within the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel, and is subject to the provisions of this chapter.

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

The way it reads to me, IANAL:

Keep it unloaded, in a case, in your trunk.

For Chicago residents with FOID, CFP, and Registration, or Illinois residents (non-Chicago resident) with FOID, if you stay in the city longer than 24 hours, it must also be broken down. Otherwise leave the city every 24 hours, and be able to prove you did.

For non-residents, since you cannot get a FOID or CFP, the broken down part doesn't apply to you, but don't stay longer than 24 hours either, otherwise the interstate travel doesn't apply.

Ck your questions timing is spot on

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Wisconsin-Militia-Men-Brought-Shotguns-Ammo-Cops-152206635.html

Editor's Note: This story originally reported that the men had shotguns. That was inaccurate. The men only had shells for a shotgun.

Chicago Police stopped a pair of Racine, Wisconsin men Saturday who allegedly traveled to Chicago with multiple shells, extended ammunition clips and knives in their car, according Chicago Police News Affairs.

One man, Michael Yocco, of the 4100 block of Carter Street, in Racine, has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon, and possession of ammunition without a FOID card, and carrying a dangerous weapon, but not a gun, police said. The other has been released, police said.

The men were arrested on the 300 block of North Canal Street in their vehicle. Both were clad in militia outfits and their car bore anarchist flags, police said.

Police believe the men were here to protest NATO.

Police might have been a bit jumpy this weekend for some reason in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

We've decided to stay around the house and get some cleaning and yard work done. As much as I'm craving some Giordano's pizza, the thought of a 5 hour drive to a hot, muggy City doesn't appeal to me right now. And frankly, I've become spoiled by the gun laws up here. When ILL finally passes CCW, I'll visit.

Thanks for the info.

CKMorley

(Illinois Expatriot and Naturalized Cheesehead)

Archived