Pit Bull shot by 15 year old kid in Chicago

Glad there are so many dog experts on here.

This is no different than the anti's bashing your right to own a gun.

You've become as narrow minded as your opposition. You sound like a bunch of whining libs.

With that said this owner of 2 wonderful Pit Bulls will be saying adios haters.

You're missing a very key point. Guns don't just go off and attack on their own. Pit bulls do.

You've become as narrow minded as your opposition. You sound like a bunch of whining libs.

You're missing a very key point. Guns don't just go off and attack on their own. Pit bulls do.

Actually I didn't miss the point. Haters hate guns, hate pretend guns, hate toy guns, hate ammunition, hate everything about guns (an object) and their uses. Hating a Pit Bull or any other larger breed dog is the same thing. They hate the idea.

Actually I didn't miss the point. Haters hate guns, hate pretend guns, hate toy guns, hate ammunition, hate everything about guns (an object) and their uses. Hating a Pit Bull or any other larger breed dog is the same thing. They hate the idea.

But there's another key point as well. $ Pit bulls deserve being hated! $

cant believe some of the ignorant crap that spews from some people on this site.... and in another thread they'll say...."dont judge all gun owners by the actions of a few"... what a bunch of hypocrites.

edit to clear up: the fact that all this article says is that the dog followed the group. Said nothing about the dog attacking.....but yea kill all pit bulls. Ignorant BS.

In some places, that's all it has to do. I have a dispute running with my mothers neighbors in southern IN, due to them having essentially a feral pack of (now) 7 dogs that they let run all over the place. They chase my neice, harrass livestock all over the county, and threaten her puppy / my dog. In Washington county, if it crosses your property line, it's free range as long as you don't leave it to rot.

A 15yo should not have a gun.

None of us were there to see the dogs body language, or its actions.

Raging at pixels on the internet is silly.

But...but...but.......

cant believe some of the ignorant crap that spews from some people on this site.... and in another thread they'll say...."dont judge all gun owners by the actions of a few"... what a bunch of hypocrites.

edit to clear up: the fact that all this article says is that the dog followed the group. Said nothing about the dog attacking.....but yea kill all pit bulls. Ignorant BS.

In some places, that's all it has to do. I have a dispute running with my mothers neighbors in southern IN, due to them having essentially a feral pack of (now) 7 dogs that they let run all over the place. They chase my neice, harrass livestock all over the county, and threaten her puppy / my dog. In Washington county, if it crosses your property line, it's free range as long as you don't leave it to rot.

A 15yo should not have a gun.

None of us were there to see the dogs body language, or its actions.

Raging at pixels on the internet is silly.

Problem dogs should be put down. I dont care what breed they are. All I'm saying is that this place if full of hypocrites that are no different than the narrow minded antis we deal with. Like or not its the truth.

Any dog is what you make them pit bull or poodle, there's no genetic evil gene.

Not according to the IllinoisCarry high and mighty. As you can see theres a big group of them. Some would shoot my dog because they fear him like an evil black rifle and I guess I'm a gangbanger and/or dope dealer because I own a pit.....you know because thats the only reason people own this breed. :rofl:

I do not hate pitbulls but I do respect what they can do.

I do not hate guns but I respect what they can do.

Both animal and gun owners are responsible for both.

When a firearm owner uses his gun irresponsibly we expect the owner to be in deep trouble while also losing his gun. Whether the weapon is a gun or animal we should expect the same responsible behavior.

If the weapon owner can not or will not be responsible then there be repercussions.

I have trouble believing any pitbull owner can handle his dog when it goes rogue. A lion is cuddly until it is not.

There is no use debating with pit bull lovers. They get emotionally attached to their dogs, and when those dogs do evil, they make all kinds of excuses.

Just like the gangbanger's momma who, after her kid is caught doing a heinous camera in front of 50 witnesses and even is even caught on camera, will be defending the thug kid. "He was an honor student, turning his life around...."

Excuses, excuses, excuses. "My puppy is not a bad dog, he only attacked 3 neighbors, but they were bad folks, they dared to walk on the same side walk as he was on, they provoked him!"

Oh sure, we can't make judgments on all pit bulls, just like we can't make judgments on all gangbangers. All pit bulls are not dangerous like all gangbangers are not dangerous. There are those little rugrats who haven't killed their first man yet. Their mommas say they're good boys. Until their first victim.

It's funny - gun owners will jump down anyone's throat for calling an AR15 an assault weapon or using clip instead of magazine just to name a few. But they'll use the media coined "pit bull" term without hesitation. A term used to label any dog remotely resembling their idea of "bully breed" dogs. Ignorance at its finest.

Newsflash folks: "Pit Bull" is not and has never been a breed of dog. .

Blame the religion, blame the race, blame the breed. Why not blame all gun owners then?

Some of the posts here are downright despicable.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the possibility that the kid simply shot the dog for fun. He most likely is a 15 year old banger and came across the dog and thought what the hey, I'll prove my manhood and shoot it. That actually was my first thought when I heard where this occurred.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most likely the caseSent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think it is amazing how quickly some people reach a conclusion in a case like this despite not knowing any of the details. This could be anything from a heroic teenager saving others from the attack of a violent animal to a punk shooting a harmless dog just to show off. I think it prudent before assuming either extreme to wait for more information. And being 15, even if the worst case scenario is true, and he is a real thug gangbanger who killed the dog for his amusement, do you really think he will end up in jail? Not likely at all.

And as to "pit bulls", the reality is that the various breeds grouped under this characterization were breeds that were specifically bred and trained for fighting other dogs (and others). Gentle, peaceful specimens would be destroyed or neutered, and only the most aggressive and most capable of fighting would be bred. Do this for a hundred years or so and you end up with dogs that are truly predisposed to violence. Of course some of them will grow up to be gentle family pets, but just as retrievers were bred to retrieve, and herding dogs to herd animals, "pit bulls" were bred to fight. Personally I have my concerns about anyone who specifically desires this type of dog for their home. It seems to be that the type person who thinks of everything that they own as a reflection of their self image might want a pit bull to "prove" that they are a really tough dude. When I hear a man say he would never drive a minivan, even if it made sense as a family vehicle, I think there is a man with a lack of masculine self confidence. When I see a man want a pet "pit bull" I think there is a man who probably is using his dog to make the world think he is tough and hard. It takes a real man to own a little toy poodle, for example, because he does not equate the dog he owns with his own character and self image.

I think it is amazing how quickly some people reach a conclusion in a case like this despite not knowing any of the details. This could be anything from a heroic teenager saving others from the attack of a violent animal to a punk shooting a harmless dog just to show off. I think it prudent before assuming either extreme to wait for more information. And being 15, even if the worst case scenario is true, and he is a real thug gangbanger who killed the dog for his amusement, do you really think he will end up in jail? Not likely at all.

And as to "pit bulls", the reality is that the various breeds grouped under this characterization were breeds that were specifically bred and trained for fighting other dogs (and others). Gentle, peaceful specimens would be destroyed or neutered, and only the most aggressive and most capable of fighting would be bred. Do this for a hundred years or so and you end up with dogs that are truly predisposed to violence. Of course some of them will grow up to be gentle family pets, but just as retrievers were bred to retrieve, and herding dogs to herd animals, "pit bulls" were bred to fight. Personally I have my concerns about anyone who specifically desires this type of dog for their home. It seems to be that the type person who thinks of everything that they own as a reflection of their self image might want a pit bull to "prove" that they are a really tough dude. When I hear a man say he would never drive a minivan, even if it made sense as a family vehicle, I think there is a man with a lack of masculine self confidence. When I see a man want a pet "pit bull" I think there is a man who probably is using his dog to make the world think he is tough and hard. It takes a real man to own a little toy poodle, for example, because he does not equate the dog he owns with his own character and self image.

/thread.

I don't think anyone is saying all pit bull dogs are dangerous animals, but I think it is true that the likelihood of a dog being dangerous is in part determined by the breed. With so many wonderful breeds to choose from, for whatever purpose you desire, why feel compelled to get a breed that might, just might turn out to be too aggressive, and will, without doubt, make other people apprehensive. And maybe I am stereotyping, but in both basic puppy obedience classes that I have participated in, with my current and most recent previous dog, the pit bulls were owned by minority members, one of whom openly bragged about what a big, bad dude his dog would grow up to be. Within any breed you can have a dog that is not good with people, or not with children, or not with strangers, etc. and of course the way an owner raises and treats a dog can have an enormous impact upon the dog's personality and behavior. But if you one of those who are attracted to or committed to owning a pit bull, maybe a bit of self examination is in order as to what the purpose of that dog is intended to be.

From Wikipedia

In a 2014 literature review of dog bite studies, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) states that breed is a poor sole predictor of dog bites. Controlled studies do not show pit bulls to be disproportionately dangerous. While pit bull-type dogs are more frequently identified with cases involving very severe injuries or fatalities than other breeds, the review suggests this may relate to the popularity of the breed, noting that sled dogs and Siberian Huskies compose a majority of fatal dog attacks in some areas of Canada.

Lets throw another log on the fire. The young man was charged with felony criminal damage of a domestic animal. Could one argue that shooting the young man would be justifiable to prevent or stop a forcible felony in progress.

If the 15 year old felt he was in imminent danger and evidence support this then I fully support his action. A fifteen year old has as much a God given right to defend himself as a twenty one year old. His past or present does not negate his right to life unless he started the fight. I hope he has a good attorney.

The dog was not on a chain under the control of it's master.

And as to "pit bulls", the reality is that the various breeds grouped under this characterization were breeds that were specifically bred and trained for fighting other dogs (and others).

And this is how ignorance and misinformation spreads. They were originally bred for hunting like a large majority of breeds. Essentially the same traits as herding dogs. Except the instinct to bite and grab prey was left intact since they were used on large game like boar and bears.

Anyone can dig up a few media articles naming "pitbulls" as the offending breed. They make for great headlines. But the majority aren't even a mix with any of the bully breeds - they just look like one. Most don't bother a soul and you'll never hear about them. Non stories aren't newsworthy.

And as to "pit bulls", the reality is that the various breeds grouped under this characterization were breeds that were specifically bred and trained for fighting other dogs (and others).

And this is how ignorance and misinformation spreads. They were originally bred for hunting like a large majority of breeds. Essentially the same traits as herding dogs. Except the instinct to bite and grab prey was left intact since they were used on large game like boar and bears.

Anyone can dig up a few media articles naming "pitbulls" as the offending breed. They make for great headlines. But the majority aren't even a mix with any of the bully breeds - they just look like one. Most don't bother a soul and you'll never hear about them. Non stories aren't newsworthy.

Those traits you've named, though the Am Staff is really an off shoot of the English version and is a very different dog, are still aggressive traits that are exactly why the "pit bull" has gained notoriety. There really has been a lot of bad breeding (on purpose) to make them ornery. Of course, if you're buying good blood lines, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But a back alley dog, not so much. "Pit bulls" are about 4x higher on the "serious injury" list than any other dog. Lots of other breeds bite more frequently.

I'm not saying this because I care what kind of dog anyone has, but you can't expect to educate anyone if you parrot how good the purebreds behave but ignore the reality that the public perception of what a "pit bull" is, is very different from even what a low end Am Staff is.

Pit bulls may have originally been bred for hunting, but certain breeds certainly were later bred for fighting. Breeds like the American Bully Dog, American Staffordshire Terrier, the Bull Terrier were certainly bred for dog fighting. My guess is that a lot of people, including myself, agree with quackersmacker's comment in #58, and with good sense.

Archived