Penalty for not having Concealed Carry permit with you

Sigma

People carrying a loaded gun without a permit (regardless if left at home or not having one at all) is subject to arrest and going through the legal system.

What happens in court depends on the prosecutor handling the case, how good your lawyer is, and the judge.

John

https://www.vipccil.com

Ehhhh....If a licensee is found to be carrying without his or her license in his or her possession, it is a violation of the FCCA. First or second time violation is a Class B Misdemeanor, along with a $150 fee to the "Mental Health Reporting Fund", and the second violation may also carry up to a 6 month suspension of license. This is the same as any other violation of the FCCA, with the exception of Carrying While Intoxicated (Class A Misdemeanor first or second offense with same $150 fee and suspension provisions), or failure to notify of changed address or lost or stolen card (petty offense).

Getting caught carrying as a non-licensee is a UUW violation, and depending on the circumstances, could be a Class A Misdemeanor, or a Class 4, 3, or 2 Felony. So no, not the same thing.

People carrying a loaded gun without a permit (regardless if left at home or not having one at all) is subject to arrest and going through the legal system.

What happens in court depends on the prosecutor handling the case, how good your lawyer is, and the judge.

John

Ehhhh....If a licensee is found to be carrying without his or her license in his or her possession, it is a violation of the FCCA. First or second time violation is a Class B Misdemeanor, along with a $150 fee to the "Mental Health Reporting Fund", and the second violation may also carry up to a 6 month suspension of license. This is the same as any other violation of the FCCA, with the exception of Carrying While Intoxicated (Class A Misdemeanor first or second offense with same $150 fee and suspension provisions), or failure to notify of changed address or lost or stolen card (petty offense).

Getting caught carrying as a non-licensee is a UUW violation, and depending on the circumstances, could be a Class A Misdemeanor, or a Class 4, 3, or 2 Felony. So no, not the same thing.

It should be noted that the maximum penalty for a class b misdemeanor is a fine of $1500 and 364 days in jail. The $150 "mental health fee" would be in addition to whatever sentence the judge handed down.

I just heard a person was arrested for carrying but forgot his permit at home. I wonder what the penalty is

Where did this happen? What a waste on the court system if this really did happen. The officer can see you have a permit when they run you. I bet you that it wouldn't happen in the counties down by me.

I just heard a person was arrested for carrying but forgot his permit at home. I wonder what the penalty is

Where did this happen? What a waste on the court system if this really did happen. The officer can see you have a permit when they run you. I bet you that it wouldn't happen in the counties down by me.

Must be Crook County.

Also illegal to drive without your DL with you. You can be arrested, but if you show up in court with your DL, the charges are usually always dismissed.

After 3 years of carrying if find myself spending a lot less time scrutinizing doorways and entries. On a couple of occasions have left my wallet at home. Wow! I broke three laws that day, 1) No FCCL on person, 2) No ID while carrying, 3) No DL while driving.

I feel so ashamed! NOT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also illegal to drive without your DL with you. You can be arrested, but if you show up in court with your DL, the charges are usually always dismissed.

After 3 years of carrying if find myself spending a lot less time scrutinizing doorways and entries. On a couple of occasions have left my wallet at home. Wow! I broke three laws that day, 1) No FCCL on person, 2) No ID while carrying, 3) No DL while driving.

I feel so ashamed! NOT!

If I left all that at home I wouldn't of had my pants on either. That would be one more charge.

Johnhttps://www.vipccil.com

It should be noted that the maximum penalty for a class b misdemeanor is a fine of $1500 and 364 days in jail. The $150 "mental health fee" would be in addition to whatever sentence the judge handed down.

Nope. Class B is up to 180 days in jail and up to $1,500 fine. Class A us up to a year in jail and up to $2,500 fine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nope. Class B is up to 180 days in jail and up to $1,500 fine. Class A us up to a year in jail and up to $2,500 fine.

My apologies, I tried to extract that from memory and failed. The point remains, however, it is a hefty penalty for forgetting your license, and the $150 mental health fine should not be confused with the max penalty for the offense.

My apologies, I tried to extract that from memory and failed. The point remains, however, it is a hefty penalty for forgetting your license, and the $150 mental health fine should not be confused with the max penalty for the offense.

Max penalty? Sure. Another example of a Class B Misdemeanor us littering. How many people have you heard about doing 6 months in County for littering?

Max penalty? Sure. Another example of a Class B Misdemeanor us littering. How many people have you heard about doing 6 months in County for littering?

Zero, same as the number of no FCCA license violation convictions I've heard about. I did not mention the penalties for any reason other than public awareness, as I've seen comments here where folks indicated that they believed $150 was the max they could fined for a conviction. It seemed an appropriate place for a reminder.

The law specifically states that you must present your license. It says nothing about about a copy, digital or otherwise.

"(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic stop, of a licensee or a non-resident carrying a concealed firearm under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act, upon the request of the officer the licensee or non-resident shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, or present the license upon the request of the officer if he or she is a licensee ... "

You may or may not be dealing with an understanding LEO.

So....Let's say you're out somewhere carrying, and for whatever reason, you lose your wallet. Then what? This seems like just one more thing to try and get changedone with the FCCA. If your name is run and you come back with a valid CCL, shouldn't that be enough?

Lot of officers sure - but if one is looking for a reason to jack you up

Will you beat the rap in the end - I suspect so in most places

I feel so ashamed! NOT!

If I left all that at home I wouldn't of had my pants on either. That would be one more charge.

:rofl: Good grief!

John

If that's the training VIP provides, I know where I wouldn't want to go.

I would no more leave my house without my wallet than leave without shoes on. I might actually forget to put my holstered gun in my pocket (I don't carry in the house generally) but never, ever forget my keys or wallet. And my CCL and driver's license, along with other key items is always in my wallet. I think the chances of me actually getting past my garage without my wallet, AND being in some situation where it becomes apparent that I am carrying a firearm, starts to reach the odds of being struck with lightening twice in one day.

John

If that's the training VIP provides, I know where I wouldn't want to go.

So let me be clear - if you get a class b, or a misdemeanor wouldn't you be subject to arrest?

This prompts another question... Are you required to carry both FOID and carry permit when carrying?

Originally? Yes. Now? No. There was a specific change to the FACE passed in 2015 that changed this. Do a search here on "trailer bill" and you can find all of the details.

Law as it stands states that you have to have a valid FOID to have a FCCL, but if you have your FCCL in your possession, you do not need to have your FOID in your possession as well.

Archived