Photo

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. The City of New York

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#241 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,724 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:40 PM

So at this point no news is good news? Surely they wouldn't wait until June if they were going to rule it moot and we'd hear that sooner than later?
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#242 Euler

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

Their next conference is Jan 10. I wouldn't expect anything before then.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#243 Charles Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:22 AM

So at this point no news is good news? Surely they wouldn't wait until June if they were going to rule it moot and we'd hear that sooner than later?

At this point, no news is no news, and nothing else.  

Here is a link to a well-written article on mootness and the NYSRPA v. NYC oral argument.  

Concealed carry is of no use to me because I don't carry a purse or wear a dress, and I'm not into secret advantage and unmanly assassination.

"Should the Open Carry movement become successful it will result in the greatest dissolution of government power since the collapse of the Soviet Union." - Charles Nichols

"If a monkey looks into a book, a sage cannot look out." - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

"La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas." - Charles Baudelaire 

"God doesn't want me and the devil isn't finished with me." - Raymond Reddington

"When you lift the last veil, you might discover that your bride is an ignorant, illiterate child living in a world of fear and superstition." - Charles Nichols.* 

* I posted this on my Facebook page on May 20, 2011.  Unable to find its origin, I claim to be its creator.

#244 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

.... Chief Justice Roberts led the charge?  Ahem...

Imho, if the new law they enacted to undermine the lawsuit still infringes on our 2A rights, which it does, they have an obligation to right this wrong.  This business about allowing the state to reset and kick the can, forcing a new lawsuit to determine the constitutionality of the new law is crazy.  This entire logic of allowing government to infringe on Constitutional Rights, with clearly bad and onerous laws, for years and decades as it works it's way through the courts is a complete and utter travesty.  Our forefathers never anticipated a court system that allowed cases to stall for a decade or more, while the harm continues. I'm sure they also didn't anticipate murders going through years, and years through countless appeals and millions of dollars of tax payers money for smoking gun cases.

#245 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:48 AM

I'd agree with this. I doubt they hold a mootness ruling until June. A wild guess on my part (if they rule it's moot and there's dissents) might be it comes in February or March.

In the meantime I don't expect any of the held cases to do anything until then.

#246 Richrude

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Anyone know why transcript and audio are not listed on SCOTUS web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users