Photo

Better:Gen4 or Gen3 Glock 19?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDieselD

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

If I was purchasing a brand new Glock pistol, what is the difference between buying a new or last generation?

#2 ming

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have both and prefer the Gen 4.  I like the more aggressive texturing on the Gen 4 as well as the dual recoil spring configuration.  You may like the choice of grip sizes you can get with the Gen 4 but I use it as is,  This being said I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  The G19 is a nice pistol.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#3 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I had both, sold the Gen 3 and now have only Gen 4 models. I like the adjustable back strap.

#4 Hipshot Percussion

• 2,225 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

My son has the G19.  He bought a gen 4, but had two FTF in the first 50 rounds.  He boxed it up and we went back to the store.  On the way there he told me he has never had a FTF with any of his Glocks (17-36-30) and wasn't starting now.  The store got him a Gen 3 instead and to this day, the still hasn't had a FTF with any of the Glocks with the exception of the Gen 4.  Take it for what it's worth.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#5 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I have a Gen3 Glock 32 and 17 and about a year ago I decided to buy a Gen4 19.

Comparatively I like the grip texturing and the larger magazine release on the Gen4s. Everything else seems about the same but as the other posters have said it also comes with 3 back straps if you want to change the grip thickness.

You also get an extra 15rd mag with the Gen 4s for a total of 3 mags. Or at least I did. Not sure if that was a promo or if that's just what they give you now.

And I guess it worth noting because of the above post that I haven't had any failures in my Gen4 G19 yet, its been like every other Glock I own. I only have about 1000 rounds through it though and that's not a lot. I have heard however that some Gen4 G19s had problems. I think mostly the early ones when they first came out. Glock made some rolling changes to the recoil spring and extractor over the years on the Gen4s.

Edited by mic6010, 19 March 2017 - 12:35 PM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#6 latetotheparty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Gen 5...😄

Edited by latetotheparty, 19 March 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#7 Hipshot Percussion

• 2,225 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

I have a Gen3 Glock 32 and 17 and about a year ago I decided to buy a Gen4 19.

Comparatively I like the grip texturing and the larger magazine release on the Gen4s. Everything else seems about the same but as the other posters have said it also comes with 3 back straps if you want to change the grip thickness.

You also get an extra 15rd mag with the Gen 4s for a total of 3 mags. Or at least I did. Not sure if that was a promo or if that's just what they give you now.

And I guess it worth noting because of the above post that I haven't had any failures in my Gen4 G19 yet, its been like every other Glock I own. I only have about 1000 rounds through it though and that's not a lot. I have heard however that some Gen4 G19s had problems. I think mostly the early ones when they first came out. Glock made some rolling changes to the recoil spring and extractor over the years on the Gen4s.

I should add (after reading Mic's post) this was roughly two years ago, so I have no idea as to how early that Gen4 was made.

“I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish: I have kept the faith."  Timothy Chapter 4 verse 7

"Legitimate self-defense has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal misuse of guns."   Gerald Vernon, veteran firearms instructor

New Gunner Journal

#8 vern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

I have a gen 4 17 and I like it and it is supposed to be more accurate but I always shoot a gen 3 more accurately

#9 blck10th

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

My only is a g19 gen4. I've had zero issues with it and it eats everything and has very little recoil at all. Everyone I've taken to the range enjoys it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 HeavyDuty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Gen4 is what it took to bring me back to Glock after over a decade.

#11 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 12,395 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've had G23 and a G26 for so long I don't even know (or care) what GEN they are.

Both go bang whenever I command them to with zero functioning problems as long as I use factory ammo. I. - I don't reload.

Glocks are ugly, not estetically pleasing but they certainly do the job they are intended for.

That said, I still love my three 1911 patterned firearms but my EDC is a Glock.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#12 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 7,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

Before making the plunge into the Glock world, I would highly recommend that you try one out first.  Some people don't like the grip angle of the Glock.  

If you're a fan of the 1911 grip angle, and want a plastic gun, take a look at the Springfield XD, XDM's.  Same grip angle so it'll feel natural in your hands.  

Some folks don't seem to like the finger grooves on the gun.  I don't disagree with them because if your hands are larger or smaller, the grooves won't work for you.  

But try one out at the range and see if you like it.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#13 45Badger

• Members
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

I have both generations. Both run like sewing machines. If you have small paws, the gen 4 grip is smaller to start. I'm a 1911 guy who learned to shoot and love glocks. They shoot differently than a 1911. So do revolvers. If you want to be a proficient handgunner, you'll need to learn and master how different guns shoot. It's all part of the fun of handgunning. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mm = 45ACP set on "stun"
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

.45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

“The most dangerous risk of all – The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later”

#14 patriot1776

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

More options with the gen 4 back straps and if you are into replacing the mag release it comes with the bigger one along with several other differences .

#15 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

If for near the same money i could buy a new 2016 car or the new 2017 model,  I can't imagine why I'd buy the older version? Unless you preferred how the older looked? I remain a huge fan of renting before buying.

Edited by RandyP, 21 March 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#16 Awan

Migrated out of Illinois

• Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

I have the G19 Gen 4 and have not had an issue. I like the multiple back straps to adjust to your hand. Now, I'm trying to get a G32 Gen 4 (waiting for the distributor to get one in stock).

Another active supporter of The Walmart Thread. <- click here to view.

An Indiana resident with a life-time carry permit!

Boomer Sooner

#17 dukemason

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

To me the only advantage of the Gen 4 G19 is the larger magazine release. The Gen 3 grip works fine for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users