Photo

Drawing from holster training

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

I'd like to know if anyone offers live-fire holster draw training. A lot of ranges don't let you draw from a holster, and I was curious if anyone offers training of this sort.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#2 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'd like to know if anyone offers live-fire holster draw training. A lot of ranges don't let you draw from a holster, and I was curious if anyone offers training of this sort.

Yes I do 

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#3 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Where are you located?

I think Excel has some holster skills classes in the Chicago area

http://www.exceltraininggroup.com

Edited by InterestedBystander, 18 March 2017 - 05:55 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#4 ScopeEye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

Anyone up North East IL, check 5 Star in Zion  recently they had advertised holster training at their range 

Illinois Carry Member

NRA Life Member

ISRA

#5 WitchDoctor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

You can get it at Maxons too. Just ask to take the Holster Skills classes offered on their list of courses.

http://maxonshooters.com/education

WD

There is no excuse for any ND!

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R

25 years US Army

#6 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Where do you live?

I know the three big ranges by me, NW of Chicago in Mchenry (2nd Amendment Sports), Crystal Lake (On Target), and West Dundee (Gatt Guns) all offer holster classes, defensive pistol, etc. 

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

#7 ming

• 2,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

I second InterestedBystander's (post # 3 above) recommendation of the Excel Training Group if you're in the Chicago area.  Bill and TD are great instructors.  Bill is a member here as well (cherryriver).

Edited by ming, 19 March 2017 - 09:42 AM.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#8 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

I use a range down south that allows it, Tombstone Range and Training Center in Marion. I offer it in some of my classes.

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC)

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#9 RacerDave6

• 3,296 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

The USRA Intro to Defensive Handgun course covers draw and more.
Currently scheduled for June 3 at Chillicothe. We are working on scheduling another further north.
http://usrifleman.or...the-il-09012013
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#10 Johnlmiller

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Check out TriggerFarm® they offer a great Basic Defensive Pistol Course, close to the Chicagloand Area located about 30 miles West of Joliet, at the intersection of  (US52 and IL71). For $50.00 bucks you can take a 3 hour class and shoot at least 200 rounds. 

Learn proper drawing and shooting from the holster,re-loading techniques, shooting from cover and concealment and much more. 

www.triggerfarm.com 

#11 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

I'm in Rockford and teach it as needed. If you are close, PM me and we can talk.

#12 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,287 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

QCI Firearms Training is offering NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home on May 20th and 21st. This class includes about 10-12 hours of range time, and almost all shots fired start with a holstered handgun. You can read the course description at the link above. 

You should be aware that Personal Protection In the Home is a prerequisite, and is being offered Saturday, April 29th. 

The classroom is just two minutes from the I-74 bridge from Moline, IL in Bettendorf, IA. The range is TBD.

PPOH is an excellent pistol class and will give you an opportunity to draw and fire from a concealed holster a few hundred times over the course of both days, as well as learn other skills every person with a CCL should know. You can probably find PPOH offered elsewhere in the state if you are not close to the Quad Cities. 

-- Frank

Edited by Frank, 26 March 2017 - 08:47 AM.

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#13 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

QCI Firearms Training is offering NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home on May 20th and 21st. This class includes about 10-12 hours of range time, and almost all shots fired start with a holstered handgun. You can read the course description at the link above. 

You should be aware that Personal Protection In the Home is a prerequisite, and is being offered Saturday, April 29th. 

The classroom is just two minutes from the I-74 bridge from Moline, IL in Bettendorf, IA. The range is TBD.

PPOH is an excellent pistol class and will give you an opportunity to draw and fire from a concealed holster a few hundred times over the course of both days, as well as learn other skills every person with a CCL should know. You can probably find PPOH offered elsewhere in the state if you are not close to the Quad Cities. 

-- Frank

So is the NRA BPC class isn't it?

#14 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,287 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

-- Frank

So is the NRA BPC class isn't it?

I don't understand exactly what you're asking. But I'll take a guess and offer a little more information.

Personal Protection IN the Home is required before you can attend Personal Protection OUTSIDE the home. 

NRA Basic Pistol will satisfy the prerequisites for Personal Protection IN the home. However, instructors are allowed to accept other similar training and experience in lieu of NRA Basic Pistol before admitting a student to PPIH, including a pre-course evaluation exercise. Darin, the lead instructor for our upcoming PPIH/PPOH courses prefers students have NRA Basic Pistol certificates before taking these advanced courses because everyone starts on the same page and we don't have to spend time bringing any one up to speed.

If you have any more questions along these lines, you can contact Darin through his email: daring@qcifirearmstraining.com

So, it goes NRA Basic Pistol --> Personal Protection IN the Home --> Personal Protection OUTSIDE the Home (Basic and Advanced).

I hope his answers your question. 

-- Frank

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users