Senator Duckworth: National Reciprocity

Just some guy

A response from the Senator regarding a request that she support National Reciprocity:

Dear Neighbor,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on gun ownership. I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this matter.

My military background gives me a unique perspective on the capabilities and functions of firearms. I fully respect the gun ownership rights the Second Amendment guarantees and will continue to protect them. We can and must take pragmatic steps to prevent gun trafficking and institute harsher penalties for those who steal firearms or illegally purchase them for others. I believe we can safeguard our communities by enhancing our methods for tracking the sale and purchase of guns and closing loopholes around background checks.

Generally, the laws and regulations governing who is permitted to carry a concealed firearm are established at the state-level. Eligibility standards vary widely among the states. For example, Illinois law requires concealed carry applicants to undergo hours of training, pass multiple background checks and obtain a Firearm Owners Identification card to be approved for a concealed firearm permit. This is in stark contrast to states with lower standards or those states that allow residents to purchase and carry concealed firearms with no permit at all.

If enacted, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, would override state laws and establish a Federal mandate forcing all 50 states to provide reciprocity for any state-issued concealed carry permit. For example, Illinois would be forced to accept another state’s concealed carry permit, even if that state does not require applicants to pass a background check or complete firearms training. This bill was introduced by Senator John Cornyn of Texas and currently resides with the Senate Judiciary Committee. If this legislation comes to the Senate floor for a vote, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. If you would like more information on my work in the Senate, please visit my website at www.duckworth.senate.gov. You can access my voting record and see what I am doing to address today’s most important issues. I hope that you will continue to share your views and opinions with me and let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

The Honorable Tammy Duckworth
United States Senator

I wonder what her opinions are of driver's licenses from other states being valid in Illinois?

Or of marriage licenses prior to the ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges.

Logic ONLY matters if it helps strengthen her argument, but not if it shows how stupid and/or hypocritical she is.

I want people from states with more permissive carry laws to carry in blue states like Illinois, New York, and California. One is for safety. Two is to give a middle finger to the gun control movement. But there's a third benefit everybody's ignoring: if you pass reciprocity, concealed carry licensees visiting places like NYC will have more rights than local New Yorkers do. Can you say "lawsuit"?

But there's a third benefit everybody's ignoring: if you pass reciprocity, concealed carry licensees visiting places like NYC will have more rights than local New Yorkers do. Can you say "lawsuit"?

We already have that now in IL with the FOID card. Friends from out of state can come to a shooting range or buy ammo just by showing their state ID, but me as an IL resident has LESS rights than they do since I must have a FOID card.

It just boggles the mind.

The terms of these reciprocity bills seems to be changing. At one point I read they needed to create a minimum terms for carry laws across all states (I thought coming up with this could take years...) The latest I'm reading from an NRA article sounds like the end result would simply be every Home State would allow CCL holders from every other State to carry in that Home State subject to that Home State's laws.

So at link below, "Permits Honored In:" would simply be Green in all states, for a every Home State.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel

If so, this seems simpler than getting all states to agree on minimum CCL terms for all other states. It's simply how we do it now: 1) find out of destination state allows IL CCL's 2) research destination states laws.

Anybody else hearing anything else? Thanks

The terms of these reciprocity bills seems to be changing. At one point I read they needed to create a minimum terms for carry laws across all states (I thought coming up with this could take years...) The latest I'm reading from an NRA article sounds like the end result would simply be every Home State would allow CCL holders from every other State to carry in that Home State subject to that Home State's laws.

So at link below, "Permits Honored In:" would simply be Green in all states, for a every Home State.

If so, this seems simpler than getting all states to agree on minimum CCL terms for all other states. It's simply how we do it now: 1) find out of destination state allows IL CCL's 2) research destination states laws.

So.....in New York, it is illegal to be in possession of an unregistered handgun. So if we get nationwide reciprocity, and you're allowed to carry in New York on your Illinois license, but your handgun isn't registered in accordance with state law.,..

>We can and must take pragmatic steps to prevent gun trafficking and institute harsher penalties for those who steal firearms or illegally purchase them for others.

See the thing that totally blows her argument out of the water is, when they DO catch these straw buyers and traffickers, the liberal judges let them off the hook. They don't care about solving the frigging problem. All they care about is jabbing a stick in the eye of law abiding 2A owners. F' em.

when they DO catch these straw buyers and traffickers, the liberal judges let them off the hook.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170414/news/170419171/

updated: 4/14/2017 4:48 PM

Mount Prospect woman gets probation for illegal gun sales

Barbara Vitello

A Mount Prospect woman pleaded guilty to selling guns illegally and was sentenced to probation.

Simone Mousheh, 23, pleaded guilty Thursday to the illegal transfer of firearms in exchange for 12 months probation and 15 days in the Cook County sheriff's work alternative program, according to court records. S.W.A.P. allows judges to sentence nonviolent offenders to manual labor in lieu of jail time.

She was also ordered to pay $679 in fines.

According to published reports, Mousheh purchased a .40-caliber gun legally then reported it stolen. Police recovered the gun from a Chicago juvenile.

During a six-month period, authorities said, Mousheh purchased four weapons for $600 each and sold two to a Hoffman Estates man with Chicago gang ties.

>We can and must take pragmatic steps to prevent gun trafficking and institute harsher penalties for those who steal firearms or illegally purchase them for others.

See the thing that totally blows her argument out of the water is, when they DO catch these straw buyers and traffickers, the liberal judges let them off the hook. They don't care about solving the frigging problem. All they care about is jabbing a stick in the eye of law abiding 2A owners. F' em.

Agreed. Total hypocrisy!

..."gives me a unique perspective on the capabilities and functions of firearms. I fully respect the gun ownership rights the Second Amendment guarantees and will continue to protect them"...

Translation:

No!

What 'UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE"? She was a flapping HELO PILOT, not on infantry or even a military police officer. Most of us shoot more on a Saturday at the range than she fired from her personal weapon (Beretta?) during her whole career!

This post is off topic. Starting a new thread.

when they DO catch these straw buyers and traffickers, the liberal judges let them off the hook.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170414/news/170419171/

updated: 4/14/2017 4:48 PM

Mount Prospect woman gets probation for illegal gun sales

Barbara Vitello

A Mount Prospect woman pleaded guilty to selling guns illegally and was sentenced to probation.

Simone Mousheh, 23, pleaded guilty Thursday to the illegal transfer of firearms in exchange for 12 months probation and 15 days in the Cook County sheriff's work alternative program, according to court records. S.W.A.P. allows judges to sentence nonviolent offenders to manual labor in lieu of jail time.

She was also ordered to pay $679 in fines.

According to published reports, Mousheh purchased a .40-caliber gun legally then reported it stolen. Police recovered the gun from a Chicago juvenile.

During a six-month period, authorities said, Mousheh purchased four weapons for $600 each and sold two to a Hoffman Estates man with Chicago gang ties.

Yes, that was exactly one of the primary cases I was referring to. In light of the trade off in restricting the rights of law abiding 2A owners, letting this wench off the hook was a frigging slap in the face to all of us.

This kind of crap is exactly what undermines the entire liberal anti-gun agenda. See the issue is, if they went after the gangbangers, and the intercity scumbags causing all the trouble, 1/2 their voters would be locked up. See the problem. Much easier for them to go after ALL guns so they don't get called out.

So.....in New York, it is illegal to be in possession of an unregistered handgun. So if we get nationwide reciprocity, and you're allowed to carry in New York on your Illinois license, but your handgun isn't registered in accordance with state law.,..

My post was off subject so I started a new thread.

Very interesting issue. Based on the current concealed carry map, I see New York, like Illinois, doesn't reciprocate with any other states. Hmmm. Illinois law now says our CCL supersedes the FOID card... a couple of significant issues that would need to be addressed (or not addressed)

Copying this post to other thread.

..."gives me a unique perspective on the capabilities and functions of firearms. I fully respect the gun ownership rights the Second Amendment guarantees and will continue to protect them"...

Translation:

No!

What 'UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE"? She was a flapping HELO PILOT, not on infantry or even a military police officer. Most of us shoot more on a Saturday at the range than she fired from her personal weapon (Beretta?) during her whole career!

More so She was an Army reserve / national guard helicopter pilot and got pulled into full time military in 04 for Iraq. No disrespect meant towards others that have served in the guard or reserves, but theres surly a lot more people that are are more adept with personal arms handling that have MOS ratings in the military than Chopper pilot.

2 claps that you actually bothered to send her that letter. I'm sure they got a good laugh about that one at the office.

The idiots that elected her gave her the free reign to be as anti gun as she wants to be. No way any of the federal reps from the state of IL are voting yes to a National Reciprocity bill.

Personally, I think it's important to continuously communicate with all my representatives even Duckworth and others like her. I get all their newsletters and go to their meetings. Maybe I'm just punishing myself for letting them win, but they are my representatives.

Archived