What's the protocol for CCL Licensees who don't speak English getting pulled over by the Police?

CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

What's the protocol for CCL Licensees who don't speak English getting pulled over by the Police? I think this a good reason for everyone to speak English. It could cause an innocent person to get killed for not complying with the Police correctly or doing the wrong move. How do the Police handle this?

The law is the same for everyone. Keep your hands on the wheel. Tell the officer you don't speak english and they will proceed as they always do on any other interaction where the person does't understand English. Interacting with persons who don't speak English is nothing new.

How did they pass the CCL course if they couldn't speak english?

There's no requirement that the class be taught in English.

I don't remember any question on the application about speaking English either. After reading the OP again I think it is more about requiring everyone to speak English and less about the CCL.

Given that there's no requirement to disclose you are carrying unless asked by LEO, it's totally possible it won't come up at all. Assuming the person pulled over just did some minor thing like a few over the limit or similar, there's really no reason why it would need to be an issue ever. Carry or not, there's no reason to break the law so bad as to draw attention to yourself when driving...and if you do, and you can't even communicate in the most basic way you're probably going to have a bad day that is entirely you're own fault.

Learn English.

^^^^This^^^^

I agree! It's a crock that any country has to have things in more than one language - especially us. If you're gong to live somewhere learn the local language. If not, that country will end up like ours. We've let the people from other countries not learn English for so long, the all expect it now. (P.S. I know that English is not the, "Official", language of the United States, so don't use that lame excuse.I don't care.)

Learn English.

^^^^This^^^^

I agree! It's a crock that any country has to have things in more than one language - especially us. If you're gong to live somewhere learn the local language. If not, that country will end up like ours. We've let the people from other countries not learn English for so long, the all expect it now. (P.S. I know that English is not the, "Official", language of the United States, so don't use that lame excuse.I don't care.)

Everywhere I travel I see more and more that Americans are generally deficient in language skills. Many (most?) Europeans are fluent in more than two languages. I worked once with two Swiss guys... one French speaking and the other German speaking. Their common languages, fortunate for me, were English and Spanish.

We just don't value other languages enough. I guess there's so much America to explore, we often don't have to.

Everywhere I travel I see more and more that Americans are generally deficient in language skills. Many (most?) Europeans are fluent in more than two languages. I worked once with two Swiss guys... one French speaking and the other German speaking. Their common languages, fortunate for me, were English and Spanish.

We just don't value other languages enough. I guess there's so much America to explore, we often don't have to.

If Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Kentucky spoke different languages more of the poplulation would be multi-lingual.

How do they read the road signs ??

I lived and drove in Japan for 6 years without knowing the language.

It's more about the shapes and colors than reading the words.

Very true, I'm not sure how long its been since most of you have taken the written driver's test in IL, but a good portion (about half) of it is identifying road signs by their shape and color alone (no words)

Better Question:

You have a CCL and circumstances dictate you draw your weapon legally ... bad guy that caused you to draw your weapon doesn’t speak the English. You do EVERYTHING by the Law.

Does media fry you?

Irrelevant, in my opinion. As a CCL holder, if you have to draw your weapon to defend against a threat, there's not likely to be much discussion.

I spend an agonizing amount of time behind the wheel here in my inner-city mostly Hiispanic neighborhoods stuck behind drivers who slow down to 20MPH in all the school zones........ on the weekends and after 6:00pm.

Were they able to read the English WORDS below the 20 number? They'd then know that the speed reduction ONLY applies to school days when children are present. But they can't and the traffic mess that ensues is the result.

I spend an agonizing amount of time behind the wheel here in my inner-city mostly Hiispanic neighborhoods stuck behind drivers who slow down to 20MPH in all the school zones........ on the weekends and after 6:00pm.

Were they able to read the English WORDS below the 20 number? They'd then know that the speed reduction ONLY applies to school days when children are present. But they can't and the traffic mess that ensues is the result.

I do that because I could see them changing the date/time on the cameras to mail out more tickets. I know people who paid tickets and got shaken down by chicago years later about them not paying the ticket they payed years ago. Lucky for them they had saved the proof.

Only applies on school days when children are present. But if you don't see any children how do you know they are present. Some sarcasm involved but not totally.

I don't think non-citizens should be granted a CCL, and citizens should be required to understand and be able to communicate in English.

I very much disagree. People traveling, visiting, working legally in the U.S. should have the means to protect themselves.

so how does a noncitizen get a CCL

I imagine one who lived in Illinois would take the 16 hour course and apply for a CCL and FOID just like the rest of us.

Archived