Another school shooting in Santa Fe Texas

THE KING

Juuuuust what we need right now. Batten down the hatches again.

Massive bans on everything are coming sooner or later. Time to make a choice on what you do when it comes

Gun used is already outlawed.

If anything, it supports our argument, it isn't the tool AND bad guys ignore laws.

Massive bans on everything are coming sooner or later. Time to make a choice on what you do when it comes

Gun used is already outlawed.

If anything, it supports our argument, it isn't the tool AND bad guys ignore laws.

They said sawed off shotgun (shockwave maybe??)

Hopefully this finally proves us right in that we need to arm staff at schools and do more to red flag these nuts that do this. I think the majority knows that banning guns and stickers on a door do nothing. Every chance I get I point out that having unarmed teachers and staff makes sure that the killer will have several minutes to do his thing unchallenged.

I am hearing on the local news down there ABC 13 that they did have an RSO (retired LEO if I heard right) in the school. Apparently he was the first one shot and is currently in critical condition, per this news station. Shot in arm, and the projectile made its way into the chest.

They interviewed a student who was with his father and that student said he knew the shooter and that the shooter had been bullied by coaches and other students. Then, the father of the kid being interviewed jumped in and said his own son (the one being interviewed) had been bullied a lot. The father apparently had complained to the school to no avail.

Again, to stress, all this was gathered from the live transmission linked to via Drudge to ABC 13.

This stuff is getting too hard to watch. So D*mn sad and maddening.

It's a sad but unavoidable state of affairs with the fanatic assault by the gun control types that when one of these occur you start hoping it's a certain type of weapon or the shooter is a certain demographic. How are they going to treat this one? My bet is it will not see the same heat as Parkland unless they simply lie or ignore the weapon used, which after the whole MS-13 Animals deal is entirely possible.,

The reality, and it is a reality, is that these are so extraordinarily rare (compared to what the frenzy of the media circus would suggest) that a student is likely to get hit multiple times by lightning before being involved in one of these shootings. As sad as I am for the families it's not an epidemic or national issue to the extent that you start giving up freedoms.

As GTX63 points out eliminating the "fame" angle of these shootings would eliminate 90 percent of them. There are a few nuts who just want revenge for issues real or imagined, regardless of the press. But many of those, like the VT killer still want some notriarity as well.

However, as a BOR absolutist I would even have a hard time with that because theses shootings are so rare, and virtually all islamic incidents (or leftist politically motivated shootings) would disappear from the public radar even more so than they tend to today.

And I hope, but don't expect, that the media will keep this killer's identify limited to "the shooter".

I'm not longer interested in his age, mental health, motives, race or employment.

I'd like a little more interest in solutions rather than inflammatory rhetoric and baiting.

That would certainly be nice for a change.

The school mass shooting trend is not about guns. Yes they are usually the tool in the U.S. However, we have had firearms in private possession for centuries and MSR's in private ownership since the development of the AR platform. School shootings (at least at mass murder level) seem to be, by comparison, a modern trend.

So what has changed? What leads someone to use a tool to kill on a mass level? That should be the real question. Even if all firearms are banned and effectively removed from circulation (ban the tool), the underlying problem remains. The troubled individual, willing to commit mass murder, is still there.

In my opinion (completely without any statistical or scientific basis), the root cause is three fold: 1) individuals (usually youth) become disaffected and angry at society (bullying is now 24/7 with social media); 2) the loss of the family dynamic to reach these youth and provide support is greatly reduced (single parent homes, both parents busy etc.) coupled with the lack of learning social skills through engagement and instead focusing on video games (especially ones that glorify violence) and devices and 3) the 24/7 news cycle which constantly reports these horrific incidents. The disaffected individual then looks at the past results (through the media) and realizes that if no one will listen to them, there is a way to get everyone's attention and lash out at those that hurt them. Further, it makes what is in reality a rare situation seem common.

Unless we find a way to work with individuals on both side of the firearm control debate to start addressing the underlying issues, these incidents will continue and perhaps escalate (even with more firearm control). That result is not acceptable. A failure to curtail mass murder will result in a loss of our 2A rights. However, that is overshadowed by the continued loss of life and destruction of our nation's value system.

Obvious issues are created by the 1st Amendment as well. We can't and should not suppress the media (hopefully they would voluntarily modify their reporting). We can't and shouldn't ban social media (even though I believe it may be the downfall of society). We can do more to fund mental health and school counseling to identify those at risk and then provide intervention before it is too late. We can do more to ensure that the background check system is more effective. We must also police ourselves to keep our youth and loved ones from utilizing our tools to conduct mass murder and to keep them safe from themselves. I am preaching to choir here, but watch your friends and loved ones. Step in when necessary. Always secure your firearms.

Unlikely.

Don't worry, and don't panic.

The gun control movement knows they're on the ropes politically. They know that fewer and fewer people believe them or their garbage rhetoric.

Interesting....... 2/28/18

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_fb464c8d-4ffc-51c9-997b-43fa04fecd9c.html

Santa Fe High School was locked down for more than an hour Wednesday afternoon after a report of popping sounds was initially feared to be a possible shooting on campus.

The high school, 16000 state Highway 6, was placed under lockdown about 12:30 p.m., meaning no one was allowed to enter or exit except police, according to the Santa Fe Independent School District.

Authorities had received a report of loud sounds believed to be gunshots fired outside of the school, authorities said. The school district put the campus on lockdown as a precautionary measure and followed its crisis management plan, Assistant Superintendent Patti Hanssard said.

While under lockdown, police searched the school and grounds for evidence of bullets or a shooting and determined there was no threat to students or staff, Hanssard said. The lockdown was lifted by 1:45 p.m., she said. Authorities had not found anything during the sweep of the school, according to the sheriff’s office.

The school mass shooting trend is not about guns. Yes they are usually the tool in the U.S. However, we have had firearms in private possession for centuries and MSR's in private ownership since the development of the AR platform. School shootings (at least at mass murder level) seem to be, by comparison, a modern trend.

So what has changed? What leads someone to use a tool to kill on a mass level? That should be the real question. Even if all firearms are banned and effectively removed from circulation (ban the tool), the underlying problem remains. The troubled individual, willing to commit mass murder, is still there.

In my opinion (completely without any statistical or scientific basis), the root cause is three fold: 1) individuals (usually youth) become disaffected and angry at society (bullying is now 24/7 with social media); 2) the loss of the family dynamic to reach these youth and provide support is greatly reduced (single parent homes, both parents busy etc.) coupled with the lack of learning social skills through engagement and instead focusing on video games (especially ones that glorify violence) and devices and 3) the 24/7 news cycle which constantly reports these horrific incidents. The disaffected individual then looks at the past results (through the media) and realizes that if no one will listen to them, there is a way to get everyone's attention and lash out at those that hurt them. Further, it makes what is in reality a rare situation seem common.

Unless we find a way to work with individuals on both side of the firearm control debate to start addressing the underlying issues, these incidents will continue and perhaps escalate (even with more firearm control). That result is not acceptable. A failure to curtail mass murder will result in a loss of our 2A rights. However, that is overshadowed by the continued loss of life and destruction of our nation's value system.

Obvious issues are created by the 1st Amendment as well. We can't and should not suppress the media (hopefully they would voluntarily modify their reporting). We can't and shouldn't ban social media (even though I believe it may be the downfall of society). We can do more to fund mental health and school counseling to identify those at risk and then provide intervention before it is too late. We can do more to ensure that the background check system is more effective. We must also police ourselves to keep our youth and loved ones from utilizing our tools to conduct mass murder and to keep them safe from themselves. I am preaching to choir here, but watch your friends and loved ones. Step in when necessary. Always secure your firearms.

I know I can say, there was a big jump from pre 40s to the 50s, increases in 60s, 70s and 80s that correspond with? That's right, mass media, available all the time. As that grew, so did the number of school shootings. Modest increases each decade. Then there was a over 30% jump from the80s to the 90s. Guess what happened then? The School Gun Free Zone Act of 1990. 2000-2010 on par with 90s.

So, now we had a mass media and news machine fully actualized, i.e. a means to make these scum notorious AND as sick copycat fodder. AND, we gave them a nice, soft target that would guarantee said coverage in Schools.

Then we have a collision of the explosion of the Internet, social media, cable and other multi-channel providers AND 8 years of bad, liberal policies, and the numbers skyrocketed in the current decade. Don't under estimate, what that latter provided to the mix. It is also the time period of 'modern GUn Control laws" as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#1960s

Archived