Photo

Chicago lake front, Museum areas, Grant Park, etc?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1Wolf

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

Just checking...

Its been a long time since I've been downtown and I'm going to end up there tomorrow.

Am I correct in my understanding and reading of the 23 prohibited areas in that you cannot CCW walking around outside the museums (Not in the museums) or in the museum parking lots, or along the lakefront near the museums, or in grant park....all of those areas are prohibited...correct?

However, I can park in the museum lot and leave my firearm in the car (safe haven).

Thanks!

#2 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:44 AM

I'm off the deep end here...

If you are going to visit places you cannot carry at, consider leaving your gun at home or consider not going.

At Midway Airport a month ago, a buddy of mine had his gun stolen from a lockbox cabled to his seat and completely hidden. He was only parked there for a few hours so he could take mass transit into the city. CPD was on the scene immediately and it only added an hour or so to his day, but someone has his gun...

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#3 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

If you are going to visit places you cannot carry at, consider leaving your gun at home or consider not going.

At Midway Airport a month ago, a buddy of mine had his gun stolen from a lockbox cabled to his seat and completely hidden. He was only parked there for a few hours so he could take mass transit into the city. CPD was on the scene immediately and it only added an hour or so to his day, but someone has his gun...

On the occasion when you have to visit a statutory prohibited place (such as a museum), it's still worth carrying.  While you do have to leave your firearm in the car, you are still protected for the trip there / trip back, and anywhere else you go that day.  If I have to go into the City of Chicago, I'd rather be protected for most of my trip than for none of it...

To the OP, the sections which pertain are:

Section 65. Prohibited areas.
(a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.
(21) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.

(b ) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

So, outside your car, you cannot carry in certain parts of the lakefront.  But it's not the entire lakefront which is prohibited, merely specific places.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#4 gangrel

• Members
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

So you just skipped reading the entire thread where carjackings in Chicago are up 44% year-over-year? And something on the order of 100% the previous year? Nope...don't see any reason one would want a gun on their commute to or from the museum campus...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#5 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

On the occasion when you have to visit a statutory prohibited place (such as a museum), it's still worth carrying.  While you do have to leave your firearm in the car, you are still protected for the trip there / trip back, and anywhere else you go that day.  If I have to go into the City of Chicago, I'd rather be protected for most of my trip than for none of it...

Agree 100%.

#6 1Wolf

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the advice and info :)  Thanks especially to xwing for going to the trouble to copy & paste that information for me.  Thank you!

Regardless of whether I can carry on the museum campuses or the lakefront, I'd always prefer to carry in my car anyway.  It seems to me that if something were to happen that would put my life or my family's life in danger....there is a good chance it would happen on the road, in traffic anyway.

Edited by 1Wolf, 14 September 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#7 SiliconSorcerer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

I haven't seen and car or truck yet you couldn't pop or pull something on and off and really conceal a handgun. 

Out of sight even when someone's in you vehicle just can't be beat, they aren't doing a deep search of your vehicle... 

Mine is concealed utilizing a child proof cabinet safety magnet release, with optional lock off switch built into my truck. 

(to hold on something you now can't pop off when locked)

I leave the magnet stuck under my dash in quick easy reach.  I've used the same technique in a car. 

If nothing else if you do have a keypad access, google where they have the number actually in the car getting to that might also lead to clues for where. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users