Spartan Tactical Trauma Injuries course

Euler

Has anyone ever taken the Spartan Tactical Trauma Injuries course?

There are two versions, one for instructors/RSOs and one for regular individuals (potentially for use on themselves). They're both 8-hour courses on the use of tourniquets, chest seals, coagulant, etc., and the legal issues of first aid. Curiously, they seem to teach them at the same time at the same place, which makes me wonder if there's really any difference between them.

Anyway, I'd be interested in the one for regular individuals.

The two classes are the same just different names and I don't know the reason for this but it may have something to do with DHS regs. It is an excellent course and I recommend that you take it. I've taken it several times over the years. You will learn what you want in your IFAK and how to use each item in your kit. I think everyone should learn the techniques discussed in this (and similar) courses. Stop The Bleed isn't a skill you want to learn "on the job". A victim of massive hemorrhage can bleed out in minutes. I'm also a believer in carrying a TQ (and knowing how to use it) especially when on the range. You will definitely get good advice in the Spartan Trauma course.

Ming... which course is better, Spartan or Fortress Defense (assuming you've done both.) I've done the Fortress class and like the way it incorporates the treatment of GSW with a hot range to simulate the possibility of having to deal with a wound in an active shooter situation.

Self/Buddy

https://www.teamspartan.com/teamspartan_Spartan_Tactical_firearms_training_in_Illinois_1-day_Emergency_Self-Aid_Buddy-Aid_for_Trauma_Injuries_Course.htm

The following topics will be covered:

Mental conditioning and survival mindset.

Medical pre-planning.

Individual and team applications.

Legal issues and considerations.

Equipment selection and purchase.

Basic anatomy and physiology.

Mechanisms of injury.

Ballistics and gunshot injuries.

Pathophysiology of penetrating trauma wounds.

Pathophysiology of blunt trauma injuries.

Tactical combat casualty overview. (TCCC)

Wound assessment - primary, secondary and ongoing.

Basic airway management techniques.

Transport considerations - Casevac vs. Medivac

Proper use of BLS airway management equipment.

Proper application of pressure dressings - Olaes and Israeli Bandage Dressings (IBD).

Proper application of tourniquets - CAT, SWAT-T, SOF-T.

Hemostatic dressings and wound packing.

Chest seals and treatment of pneumothorax.

Emergency medical communications.

Developing personal carry first aid kits.

Course duration: 1 day (8 hours)

Course tuition: $ 150.00 (Course only) or $ 245.00 with student issued Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) included

Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) includes:

CAT Tourniquet

HyFin Vent Chest Seal kit for entry and exit wounds.

4" Israeli Battle Dressing (IBD)

Nasopharyngeal Airway (28F)

H&H compressed wound packing gauze.

2" roll of heavy duty medical tape.

Re-sealable ITW X-Proof combat bag.

All primary IFAK components are NSN registered parts.

$ 100.00 kit retail value!

Course student limit: 20

Student requirements: Notepad and pen, comfortable clothing suitable for hands-on training.

Recommended personal equipment: Medical kit you currently carry / use

Instructor

https://www.teamspartan.com/teamspartan_Spartan_Tactical_firearms_training_in_Illinois_1-day_Emergency_Medical_Response_for_Firearms_Instructors_Course.htm

Ming... which course is better, Spartan or Fortress Defense (assuming you've done both.) I've done the Fortress class and like the way it incorporates the treatment of GSW with a hot range to simulate the possibility of having to deal with a wound in an active shooter situation.

Fortress: Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

It seems odd to require 250 rounds of ammo and a locking knife to learn how to treat traumatic injuries. So half the class is learning about medical treatment on the range while the other half is live firing in the immediate vicinity?

Hi,

I have taken the Trauma course for RSO's. I enjoyed the course taught by combat medics. The Sparten Group are good courses taught by experts.

jkrzos

RSO-ISRA

Fortress: Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

It seems odd to require 250 rounds of ammo and a locking knife to learn how to treat traumatic injuries. So half the class is learning about medical treatment on the range while the other half is live firing in the immediate vicinity?

Yes.

Ever try to walk with a tourniquet properly tightened on your leg? It sucks. The Fortress team then has you hobble down a firing line hitting a series of steel targets out to about 25 feet. It's about treating yourself and treating others in a hot zone.

I picked up a lot of information in the Fortress class, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to learn from Spartan. Their course description looks like it's mostly if not entirely a medical class.

I've done both and both are excellent. The Fortress course includes live fire drills while Spartan is classroom only. In the former you will be doing things like moving a simulated victim to cover before treatment while you (or you and a buddy) suppress a threat. It's intense but also a lot of fun. If you'd rather just concentrate on the care aspects, and you do get a lot of info presented rapidly, then the Spartan course would be the better choice. Both are taught by skilled instructors and either one will provide the basic training you are looking for. Most of us will never (thankfully) find ourselves in an active shooter situation but we may be in a position to render care to an accident victim. If you have the time (and money) I'd recommend that you take both over the years. IMO these are perishable skills that need periodic refreshment.

There are also other options but some are more difficult to find. The live fire Tactical Combat Casualty Care course: https://d-dey.com/training/tactical-medicine-2/

is excellent. The accrediting organization NAEMT produces some interesting instructional info you may want to look at. Here are a few links to get you started:

https://www.naemt.org/education/naemt-tccc

https://deployedmedicine.com/market/11

The videos at these sites are very informative. A Google search on TCCC (aka TC3) or TECC will provide others.

Maxon also offers a 4 hour TECC course: https://maxonshooters.com/education-and-training/cpr-certification-classes-and-maxon-seminars/emergency-trauma-care-class-tecc/

Archived