Lawsuits against Deerfield gun ban set for hearing Friday 10/12/18

InterestedBystander

full story at link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-hpn-deerfield-assault-weapons-ban-on-court-docket-tl-1011-story.html

...Attorneys for the village of Deerfield and gun rights advocacy groups are due back in court Oct. 12 to wage arguments in two lawsuits challenging the villages authority to ban assault weapons.

In June, a Lake County Circuit Court judge issued a temporary restraining order barring Deerfield from enforcing the ban until the case could be considered. The order from Judge Luis Berrones came on the eve of a June 13 deadline for Deerfield residents to turn in any guns that fit the villages definition of assault weapons, remove them from the village or alter the weapons so they were no longer prohibited under the ordinance.

Now, Guns Save Life, the Illinois State Rifle Association and other plaintiffs are asking the court for a preliminary injunction. One of the two suits was filed by gun owner John William Wombacher III and Guns Save Life, and is backed by the National Rifle Association. The other challenge was brought by gun owner Daniel Easterday, the state rifle association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

The legal jousting centers on Deerfields decision to ban possession of certain firearms in the aftermath of recent mass shootings. Local gun owners and gun-rights groups swiftly filed lawsuits claiming Deerfield trustees had no authority to ban assault weapons five years after the Illinois legislature made regulation of assault weapons an exclusive power of the state...

What assault weapon has been banned since 1986 at the federal level? ...

357 thinks assault weapons = assault rifles

I don't think an assault weapon exists and is bogus and the ATF thinks the same. It was coined by Hitler for propaganda for the STG44 and started being used by Josh Sugarmann in 1989 for gun control propaganda. The antis call anything they want to ban assault, even semi automatic shotguns or shotguns with more than 5 round capacity. So assault weapon and rifle is the same and a big lie and propaganda. What do you think are "assault weapons" and "assault rifles"?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news-week-atf-says-assault-rifle-is-bogus-term

I don't think an assault weapon exists and is bogus and the ATF thinks the same. It was coined by Hitler for propaganda for the STG44 and started being used by Josh Sugarmann in 1989 for gun control propaganda. The antis call anything they want to ban assault, even semi automatic shotguns or shotguns with more than 5 round capacity. So assault weapon and rifle is the same and a big lie and propaganda. What do you think are "assault weapons" and "assault rifles"?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news-week-atf-says-assault-rifle-is-bogus-term

Notice that the Wikipedia article is about "assault rifle," which is the translation of the German. "Assault rifle" is the term Hitler coined as the little brother of the battle rifle.

Notice that the Outdoor Life article does not use "assault rifle" anywhere except in the title, leading me to believe the blogger doesn't know the difference, either.

I don't think an assault weapon exists and is bogus and the ATF thinks the same. It was coined by Hitler for propaganda for the STG44 and started being used by Josh Sugarmann in 1989 for gun control propaganda. The antis call anything they want to ban assault, even semi automatic shotguns or shotguns with more than 5 round capacity. So assault weapon and rifle is the same and a big lie and propaganda. What do you think are "assault weapons" and "assault rifles"?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_riflehttps://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news-week-atf-says-assault-rifle-is-bogus-term
Notice that the Wikipedia article is about "assault rifle," which is the translation of the German. "Assault rifle" is the term Hitler coined as the little brother of the battle rifle.Notice that the Outdoor Life article does not use "assault rifle" anywhere except in the title, leading me to believe the blogger doesn't know the difference, either.

The writer and the ATF knows there's no difference and is bogus. The same term Hitler coined is being used to disarm the people in America, who would have thought. What are you trying to say, what do you think is the difference? Do you think that semi automatic weapons or rifles are assault weapons?

The writer and the ATF knows there's no difference and is bogus. The same term Hitler coined is being used to disarm the people in America, who would have thought. What are you trying to say, what do you think is the difference? Do you think that semi automatic weapons or rifles are assault weapons?

I think you are confused. Like I said before:

I think you are confused. Like I said before:

No, you are confused and brainwashed by the propaganda and can't answer the question and clinging at straws.

Prove it.

I proved what I'm saying and provided links by the ATF too that support the argument that the term "assault weapon" is bogus and propaganda and can provide more. I also provided proof of where the term comes from. It's not what I think or what I herad from the MSM. It's facts and the NRA has written about this subject many times too.

You prove what you're saying or answer the questions instead of playing words games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2013/01/17/is-it-fair-to-call-them-assault-weapons/?utm_term=.cb27bc8a6a6f

I return to the original exchange, which is the point.

They are banning rifles and not assault weapons which have been banned at the Federal level since 1986.

... and you still have yet to prove I want to ban so-called assault weapons.

I return to the original exchange, which is the point.
They are banning rifles and not assault weapons which have been banned at the Federal level since 1986.

... and you still have yet to prove I want to ban so-called assault weapons.

What I said is true, Deerfield wants to ban rifles, automatic weapons which are select fire "assault weapons or assault rifles" which are the same thing and classified the same by the anti freedom forces and used interchangeably have been banned since 1986 at the Federal level and are illegal to buy in Illinois.

You started making assumptions and wouldn't answer questions so I started making assumptions too. I don't see what point you and lilguy were trying to make.

Deerfield wants to ban rifles, automatic weapons which are select fire "assault weapons or assault rifles"...

The ordinance bans assault weapons. And an assault weapon is defined within the ordinance as "a semi-automatic rifle... pistol... shotgun..." that has a few additional features also enumerated in the ordinance.

So 357's claim that Deerfield wants to ban automatic (select fire) rifles is inconsistent with the text of the ordinance.

So 357's claim that Deerfield wants to ban automatic (select fire) rifles is inconsistent with the text of the ordinance.

I personally think you are misunderstanding, due to some poor sentence structure by 357 with the comma between "rifles, automatic weapons" that should have been a period for clarity that he changed up the subject/thought.

Go back and read what 357 clearly stated initially.

Now they are trying to ban semi automatic rifles made for civilians by calling them assault weapons.

Personally, this thread confuses me, that is unless the people arguing against 357 actually approve and endorse the Deerfield ordinance, definitions in it and classifications in it and the way the anti-gunners have twisted terminology to their benefit and expanded the definition to fit their agenda based on essentially cosmetic features?

Personally, this thread confuses me,

Its gone off the rails. It had nothing to do with what Deerfield was trying to do by the wording in their proposed muni code. I started it to let people know a hearing was soon and an attempt to find if anyone knew what happened at Fridays court hearing.

Deerfield wants to ban rifles, automatic weapons which are select fire "assault weapons or assault rifles"...

The ordinance bans assault weapons. And an assault weapon is defined within the ordinance as "a semi-automatic rifle... pistol... shotgun..." that has a few additional features also enumerated in the ordinance.

You misunderstood what I wrote, do you see the comma? I said they want to ban rifles. The rifles they want to ban are semi automatic and made for civilians. "Assault weapons" are automatic and made for the military and already illegal. I also said that their definition of an "assault weapon" is bogus and the ATF said so too. These laws and definitions are supported by Bloomberg.

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/anti-gun-group-supports-total-ban/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170721/former-bloomberg-lackey-comes-clean-on-true-anti-gun-agenda

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/04/02/shooting-holes-in-mayor-bloombergs-anti-gun-propaganda-ten-bullet-points/#505be5642e96

I personally think you are misunderstanding, due to some poor sentence structure by 357 with the comma between "rifles, automatic weapons" that should have been a period for clarity that he changed up the subject/thought.

Go back and read what 357 clearly stated initially.

Now they are trying to ban semi automatic rifles made for civilians by calling them assault weapons.

Personally, this thread confuses me, that is unless the people arguing against 357 actually approve and endorse the Deerfield ordinance, definitions in it and classifications in it and the way the anti-gunners have twisted terminology to their benefit and expanded the definition to fit their agenda based on essentially cosmetic features?

Thank you Flynn for explaining it better and for the support. I'm confused too and I'm thinking the same thing. I'm speaking out against this ordinance and presenting facts opposing it and people on our side are questioning me. I tried to explain it in a long sentence and should have structured it better after seeing that some people still don't understand the antis dirty tactics of using bogus definitions and lies and propaganda.

This is a good article I'm posting again from the liberal Washington post titled, is it fair to call them 'assault weapons'? I see why we are fighting a losing battle on the language of the gun debate.

"The gun lobby is one of the most influential interest groups in American politics. But even as groups like the National Rifle Association (NRA) exercise considerable sway over Washington lawmakers, they are fighting a losing battle on one very important front: the language of the gun debate"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2013/01/17/is-it-fair-to-call-them-assault-weapons/?utm_term=.92dba19daeb7

Personally, this thread confuses me,

Its gone off the rails. It had nothing to do with what Deerfield was trying to do by the wording in their proposed muni code. I started it to let people know a hearing was soon and an attempt to find if anyone knew what happened at Fridays court hearing.

It hasn't gone off the rails and we are discussing the Deerfield ordinance.

The ordinance bans rifles, pistols and shotguns. Are you saying that their bogus definition labeling rifles, pistols and shotguns as "assault weapons" is correct?

The ordinance bans rifles, pistols and shotguns. Are you saying that their bogus definition labeling rifles, pistols and shotguns as "assault weapons" is correct?

No.

But since they defined 'assault weapon' within the ordinance, that's the only one that matters when interpreting the intent.

I don't like the term--these types of weapons don't assault anyone.

I'm out.

Archived