FOID numbers by County

Blaster

Great list Coach....looking through it at cook and the surrounding counties of DuPage, Kane and Lake, I find it interesting that some of the so called "finer" communities seem to have the highest number of FOID card holders. ALso a few of the more questionable as well....coincidence?? I think not...It is rather distressing though looking through the list that the numbers are that small though. Example:

Schaumburg cook county - 4454

Arlington Heights cook county - 4368

Naperville DuPage county - 6436

Aurora Kane county - 7822

Elgin Kane county - 5708

St Charles Kane county - 4646

I think it was interesting stuff. Thanks for the hard work.

I'm pretty familiar with Cook and DuPage counties and I found it interesting that several people who live in Cook suburbs list their counties as DuPage.

See Brookfield, Berwyn and Maywood listings in DuPage which are really in Cook.

Somehow I have this feeling that some thinking individuals did this to be able to order standard capacity mags and/or ammo over the internet.

A person's residence may be in one county, but the mailing address in another county. That's why the same "locality" may show up in more than one county.

For the most part, that's not legal. It has to be your residence address(there may be some exceptions). You are not supposed to use your business or P.O. address.

That's what we're told in general by the ISP. I don't know their exact answer on the address issue.

I like pecentages... so I calculated (manually, it would have taken me longer to figure out how to make a calculating field in the next column to the right) the percentage of FOID holders in the state and by county. These are just the highs and lows and what interests me;

9.03 Illinois

3.45 Chicago

4.68 Cook

5.45 Whiteside

6.26 DuPage

6.58 Lake

8.68 Kane

8.90 Champaign

9.43 Rock Island

10.29 Will

30.61 Pope

41.00 Calhoun

51.16 White

More possibly useless information - screwing around with percentages;

39% of all FOID holders live in the Chicagoland area

(Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake and Will)

22% of all FOID holders live in Cook County

8.8% of all FOID holders live in Chicago.

22% of Chicagoland FOID holders live in Chicago

Suppose my residence is in rural Douglas County, but near the county line of Champaign Co., so that my mailing address is Pesotum, in Champaign County.

I know they allow P.O. box numbers on D.L.'s if your community is below a certain population. That would probably be an exception in rural areas.

You can get around the street address on DL's by declaring the PO box as your legal mailing address. Once the mailbox is removed and the Post office notified that you do not accept mail at your street address the SOS must use the PO box as your address. At least until they upgrade to a system that allows a street address and a mailing address.

Of course, LEO's and certain public employees can upon request use PO boxes and in some cases are allowed fraudulent addresses. Wriggly field is a common one used in the past.

Soundguy, if you calculate per 100,000 population, those places rank LAST!

There numbers are high just because of the population.

Hello Ol'Coach,

You are one whom I wish to run into and chat with at IGOLD or some similar function someday.

What I calculated was the percentage of the population that hold FOID cards in certain areas, subject to the numbers provided to you.

In Illinois, 9.03% of the entire population holds an FOID card.

In White County, 51% of the residents have FOID cards. This is the county with the highest percentage of FOID holders. White County residents hold 6.4% of all FOID cards.

In Cook County, 4.68% of the residents have FOID cards. Only 3.45% of City of Chicago residents hold FOID cards. County-wise, Cook County has the lowest percentage of FOID holders followed closely by the 4 collar counties and a few others. No surprise to me.

Likewise, or unfortunately, because of the high population of the 5 county Chicagoland area, 39% of ALL FOID holders in Illinois live in the 5 county Chicagoland area... And 8.8% of ALL Illinois FOID holders live in Chicago.

If you dissect that group of 39%, the Chicagoland FOID holders... 22% of it lives in Chicago.

I hope this makes my previous stupid notes more clear.

I don't know how this useless info might help, but it seems clear that with 39% of the FOID holders living in the 5 county Chicagoland area, and all of them being slackers in terms of FOID to population ratios... it would be difficult to make progress on Illinois CCW without great assistance from a large percentage of Chicagoland FOID holders.

Chicagoland needs to be tapped someday and I wish I knew how to do it...

Tim

Anyone notice the % of people in counties in southern Illinois (south of I64) who have FOID cards, Jackson is the lowest percentage with 15.6% , White county is the highest with a whopping 51%, Pope county is 30.6%. Too bad we don't have numbers like this north of I80. Even Champaign county is only 8.9%.

All you Cook county residents get FOID cards for your wife and kids, if they don't already have them. We need to get those numbers up.

Anyone notice the % of people in counties in southern Illinois (south of I64) who have FOID cards, Jackson is the lowest percentage with 15.6% , White county is the highest with a whopping 51%, Pope county is 30.6%. Too bad we don't have numbers like this north of I80. Even Champaign county is only 8.9%.

All you Cook county residents get FOID cards for your wife and kids, if they don't already have them. We need to get those numbers up.

Perhaps we need a Northern Illinois FOID drive?

Tim

• 1 month later...
Sent Blaster an "upgrade." The way things are rollin' now, it may be difficult for him to find the time to post it. Much easier to read, and includes % of FOIDS in a county and FOIDS per 100,000 population.

Guess who are the bottom 5?...in direct proportion to those that have the highest number of homocides! (Unfortunately, there is no data for "FIREARMS related homocides" county by county.

How surprised are we at that?

Coach,

why not break it down by cities on just the southside of Chicago? Blue Island, Cicero, Harvey, Mattoon, etc.

There should be something out there for the county. You could even use the tribune report they make about crime each yr. Why reinvent the wheel?

• 7 months later...
not to give the enemy any ammo but thats pretty scary that we are only 10% of the population :yes1:

but i guess the total population is not everyone who is eligible for foid cards

But think about this, the 10% that has FOID cards are probably 10% that will vote. I don't want to turn this into a left/right thing but for making this easier to explain I am. The right or FOID holders is way more likely to vote than a bunch of lazy people on the left. Voter turnout for most elections these days isn't that great because people already figure that the Dems have it here and it's a lock so why bother. The people who are really going to the booths are the ones who want change. 10% isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things but when only 50% or less of the total population is voting then your 10% of likely voters does make a huge difference. It will be that lazy, compacent thought process that gets the Dems knocked out of the top spots in the future (atleast I hope so).

I find the number of FOID card holders for Goreville interesting, 743 with a population of 999 estimated for June 2006. I'm sure some of those are outside Goreville with a rural Goreville address, but it looks like a lot of folks take that ordinance requiring every household to have a firearm seriously.

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried a lot of times to explain this kinda thing, tplane, and I'm just not very good at it! Suffice to say, it has to do with where you actually live in relation to your mailing address. In other words, people not living within the Argenta population boundaries (city limits?) may be on the ISP roles as being Argenta FOID card holders.

I completely understand that, I have a Decatur address, but went to Argenta-Oreana Schools, and the neightbor 2 doors down has an Oreana address. We are in Whitmore Township (Oreana) and we are outside the jurisdiction of the Decatur Police Department, yet, we are "told" we are in Decatur. Yet the Decatur fire department won't come to our house, our neighbor managed to catch our field on fire a couple years back, and when we call 911 for the fire department, we go the run around....we finally called the Argenta-Oreana volunteer fire department and they came right out, no questions asked (which they routinely get fined for because they have to drive through a portion of Decatur's jurisdiction to get to our house, but they have a job to do and are determined to get it done). But when we received our "911 address" and was forced to change over to it in place of our Rural Route Box #, they said we were Decatur......We just have to go about things differently in my neck of the woods, I guess that's why so many people out here own guns....

And by the way, Oreana does not have a Police Department, and Argenta's PD had 2 officers the last I heard.....but I rarely, if ever, hear about crime issues. I wonder if it's because most every house is armed??? I'd say so.