IGOLD For Newbies

Lou

It's only a few weeks to IGOLD 2019 and for many of you this will be your first IGOLD. I'm going to try to share some thoughts on how to make it a fun and fulfilling event.

Any other IGOLD veterans are free to jump in here and add to this thread.

Questions are good too.

Here is the ISRA webpage with information: http://igold.isra.org/

WEDNESDAY March 27th is the day to reserve.

For those who take one of the many buses, make sure you know who your bus captain is and exchange cell numbers just in case.

Everything you need to know about signing up for one of the buses can be found here:

http://archive.aweber.com/awlist4894361/Mn1rZ/h/IGOLD_Update_IGOLD_Buses.htm

Taking one of the buses that leave from numerous locations throughout the state is a great way to get there plus you'll make many new like minded friends. Prices vary but most are $25 to 35 or a donation as some buses are subsidized by various groups.

Depending on where you live, taking the train might be a good option too.. You can catch as Amtak train from several locations around the Chicago area and get off within blocks of the Capitol.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Illinois-Missouri-Services-Schedule-091317.pdf

I usually drive so if you've taken a bus or train in the past please feel free to jump in and share your experiences.

For those driving themselves there is a multilevel parking garage right next to the Bank Of Springfield Center. It's $1.00 per hour with a $7 maximum. Credit card only at the exit - there is no attendant to take cash at the exits. You can pay inside the BOS with cash or credit card at the walk up kiosk or at the exit with credit card only

When you enter the BOS after your long ride the first thing you will seek out is the bathroom. There are ample bathrooms available plus concession stands for food or drinks.

Gold is the color of the day!

It's March in Illinois: dress in layers as you need to keep warm for the mile or so march but the Capitol building gets REALLY warm with all of us freedom loving people in there. Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to march the mile to the Capitol. . Buses will be available both to and from the Capitol for those who are tired or cannot walk that far. The "march" is at a leisurely pace.

As far as dress goes, be comfortable but please do not dress in camos or tactical wear unless you really want to be in every 6 PM news-clip and MSM photo. They really do seek out the MSM stereotypes to prove we are all knuckle dragging hicks. Jeans and a decent shirt are fine.

Please Do not think it will be a good idea to carry an empty rifle case or wear an empty holster. We have had excellent relations with the Capitol Police and we want to keep it that way.

When you enter the BOS you will be handed an information packet. Bring a pen and 4 to 6 return address labels. There are 4 cards in there that are to be filled out and dropped off at the office of your elected representative plus the Speaker Of The House and the Senate President. It save a lot of writing to just slap a return address label on rather than writing it out 4 times.

Another hint is to write the location of your Rep and Senator's office on the back of the card so you know where to go when you enter the Capitol Bldg. A list of their office numbers will be included in your information packet. You'll know where the speaker's office and the president's office is because they will have lines in front waiting to get in. They do move quickly.

There will be lines to get in the Capitol but if we all work together they go fast. No guns, knifes, bazookas or signs on sticks. Even a flag on a flagpole will not be admitted. There are multiple entrances in through the main Capitol building, the Howlett building and the Stratton Building. Some of us experienced folk bring a zip lock baggy to throw our pocket change, watch, cell phone and anything else that will set off the metal detector in. Some folks just throw them into their hat and that works too. Just know that if you bring that rodeo championship belt buckle you will have to take your belt off and if your pants fall down... well I don't wanna see it. The metal detectors are not as sensation as those in the airports so you don't have to take your shoes off unless they have steel toes or whatever.

As a rule, I've found that the SOS officers who man the checkpoints are really on our side as are the Springfield officers who clear traffic for us.

Thank them and let them know you appreciate their support.

Most of all have fun and know that your presence does make a difference. Write, call or e-mail your elected officials ahead of time and let them know your are coming to meet with them. Do not be disappointed if they are not in the office when you get there. They do have legislative sessions or committee meetings they need to be at. I sometime have the sneaking suspicion that the so-called leaders schedule the sessions and committee meeting so that it conflicts with IGOLD . No proof but just a hunch.

This event does not happen without the help of hundreds of dedicated volunteers.

One standout is Mark The Sign Guy who singlehandedly makes all those gold signs to carry on the March. The cameras love them! Be sure to pick one up as you exit for the March.

Another way to help the cause is to post flyers about IGOLD to spread the word. Letter sized posters are available here : https://www.isra.org/Portals/6/ISRA%20Images/igold%20flier%201-2019.pdf?ver=2019-01-17-113852-483&timestamp=1547759537909

Print up a bunch and post them as you wander through your local guns shop, grocery store, department store etc. For all you subversive types maybe consider posting one in every store that posts a no-gun sign. No- wait. maybe that last part isn't a good idea. :cool:

10:30 a.m. Doors open at BOS (concessions available)

11:45 a.m. Registration/Rally, Bank Of Springfield Ctr, 1 Convention Center Plaza

1:00 p.m. March to the State Capitol to lobby legislators

3:30 p.m. Rally At The Rotunda!! (State Capitol rotunda)

Avoid the hassle of driving and finding a parking spot!

Reserve a seat on an IGOLD bus!

And as an FYI - both the BOS and the Capitol Building are posted Gun Free Zones. Because the march itself is a permitted event, it is also a Criminal Protection Zone.

Basically, the entire event is a gun free zone.

ABOLT - Molly - Anyone else, please jump in and add to whatever I've missed.

A couple of comments about the signs Lou spoke of. We reuse the signs year to year. We hand them out at the start of the march, and collect them at the end of the march.

They will be piled on a long line of tables along the path to the Adams Street exit's roll up door.

This is the South West corner of the building.

At the end of the march, after the speeches at the Lincoln Statue Steps (at Capitol Street and 2nd Ave) the signs and flags will be collected. Security won't let them through into the Capitol Building.

I INTEND at the start of the march to hand out to volunteers plastic shopping bags (recycled & sturdy) that will hold 17 signs each, WITHOUT the handles tearing off !!!

These are the FIRST bags I have found that stand up to that abuse. I BOUGHT them fair and square, so the store's name on them does not represent support or opposition. Just a great bag.

At 16 or 17 signs in the bag bundle, the tight bundle will tend to stand up on it's own.

I HOPE to have a collection bag within a 8 foot circle of anyone / everyone. That's over 40 bags, and just a small amount of bother each.

If you can't bring the collected bag bundle of signs back down the steps to the street, PLEASE don't take it further up or away from me!!

(with my wheeled chair, stairs are my kryptonite)

There will be several vehicles parked on the 2nd street sidewalk south of the steps. One of them will be my silver '06 Toyota Sienna Minivan.

With careful packing, they ALL will fit back in, after all, that morning they CAME to the march in it!!!

I will be looking for help moving the abandoned bundles from the speech area around the Lincoln statue to the van.

Realistically - you'll either spend the time waiting in the line to go through security or helping clear up the signs.

These signs have some real history on them!!!

They have been in Chicago - Millennium Park, Thompson Center Plaza, DALEY Center Plaza (long ago) as well as Springfield IGOLDs since 2009 - this is my tenth year.

post-1247-0-41504000-1551264869_thumb.jpg

I was on the outside edge of the parade last year. This gave me a great chance to say "Thanks officer !!! " to the police holding traffic. a few made comments that they support us. I saw many average people standing there along the route looking really surprised at all of us passing by. I said "Hi" and waved and got smiles and waves back. I made 100% sure to hold my sign ( one of Mark's ) still and facing out so those on the sidewalk could read it easily. Half way down the road a very well dressed and attractive young lady with a microphone ( like real news reporters use ) and a cameraman walked up as we passed and the young lady smiled and said " would anyone like to tell us why you're out here today ?" one guy smiled and kept walking past her then she said " How about you Sir, can I ask you a few questions ?" he was an older gent and he went off to the side and the camera guy put the camera on his shoulder and we all kept walking.

I don't know what channel or what he said and didn't see him again but I't made me think about what would I have said. what a great chance to get a message out. But with zero prep time and presto you're on TV I may have been like "Umm, well we, Uhh" I would hate to look dopey or miss a shot to gain support. The odds are very slim it will happen but it wouldn't hurt to maybe have a few lines ready just in case this does happen to you. I did see other media around so you never know.

I was on the outside edge of the parade last year. This gave me a great chance to say "Thanks officer !!! " to the police holding traffic. a few made comments that they support us. I saw many average people standing there along the route looking really surprised at all of us passing by. I said "Hi" and waved and got smiles and waves back. I made 100% sure to hold my sign ( one of Mark's ) still and facing out so those on the sidewalk could read it easily. Half way down the road a very well dressed and attractive young lady with a microphone ( like real news reporters use ) and a cameraman walked up as we passed and the young lady smiled and said " would anyone like to tell us why you're out here today ?" one guy smiled and kept walking past her then she said " How about you Sir, can I ask you a few questions ?" he was an older gent and he went off to the side and the camera guy put the camera on his shoulder and we all kept walking.

I don't know what channel or what he said and didn't see him again but I't made me think about what would I have said. what a great chance to get a message out. But with zero prep time and presto you're on TV I may have been like "Umm, well we, Uhh" I would hate to look dopey or miss a shot to gain support. The odds are very slim it will happen but it wouldn't hurt to maybe have a few lines ready just in case this does happen to you. I did see other media around so you never know.

How about "I'm here to defend everybody's Civil Rights !" ??

It's only a few weeks to IGOLD 2019 and for many of you this will be your first IGOLD. I'm going to try to share some thoughts on how to make it a fun and fulfilling event.

Questions are good too.

Here is the ISRA webpage with information: http://igold.isra.org/

WEDNESDAY April March 27th is the day to reserve.

For those who take one of the many buses, make sure you know who your bus captain is and exchange cell numbers just in case.

Everything you need to know about signing up for one of the buses can be found here:

http://archive.aweber.com/awlist4894361/Mn1rZ/h/IGOLD_Update_IGOLD_Buses.htm

Taking one of the buses that leave from numerous locations throughout the state is a great way to get there plus you'll make many new like minded friends. Prices vary but most are $25 to 35 or a donation as some buses are subsidized by various groups.

Depending on where you live, taking the train might be a good option too.. You can catch as Amtak train from several locations around the Chicago area and get off within blocks of the Capitol.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Illinois-Missouri-Services-Schedule-091317.pdf

I usually drive so if you've taken a bus or train in the past please feel free to jump in and share your experiences.

For those driving themselves there is a multilevel parking garage right next to the Bank Of Springfield Center. It's $1.00 per hour with a $7 maximum. Credit card only at the exit - there is no attendant to take cash at the exits. You can pay inside the BOS with cash or credit card at the walk up kiosk or at the exit with credit card only

When you enter the BOS after your long ride the first thing you will seek out is the bathroom. There are ample bathrooms available plus concession stands for food or drinks.

It's March in Illinois: dress in layers as you need to keep warm for the mile or so march but the Capitol building gets REALLY warm with all of us freedom loving people in there. Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to march the mile to the Capitol. . Buses will be available both to and from the Capitol for those who are tired or cannot walk that far. The "march" is at a leisurely pace.

As far as dress goes, be comfortable but please do not dress in camos or tactical wear unless you really want to be in every 6 PM news-clip and MSM photo. They really do seek out the MSM stereotypes to prove we are all knuckle dragging hicks. Jeans and a decent shirt are fine.

Please Do not think it will be a good idea to carry an empty rifle case or wear an empty holster. We have had excellent relations with the Capitol Police and we want to keep it that way.

When you enter the BOS you will be handed an information packet. Bring a pen and 4 to 6 return address labels. There are 4 cards in there that are to be filled out and dropped off at the office of your elected representative plus the Speaker Of The House and the Senate President. It save a lot of writing to just slap a return address label on rather than writing it out 4 times.

Another hint is to write the location of your Rep and Senator's office on the back of the card so you know where to go when you enter the Capitol Bldg. A list of their office numbers will be included in your information packet. You'll know where the speaker's office and the president's office is because they will have lines in front waiting to get in. They do move quickly.

There will be lines to get in the Capitol but if we all work together they go fast. No guns, knifes, bazookas or signs on sticks. Even a flag on a flagpole will not be admitted. There are multiple entrances in through the main Capitol building, the Howlett building and the Stratton Building. Some of us experienced folk bring a zip lock baggy to throw our pocket change, watch, cell phone and anything else that will set off the metal detector in. Some folks just throw them into their hat and that works too. Just know that if you bring that rodeo championship belt buckle you will have to take your belt off and if your pants fall down... well I don't wanna see it. The metal detectors are not as sensation as those in the airports so you don't have to take your shoes off unless they have steel toes or whatever.

As a rule, I've found that the SOS officers who man the checkpoints are really on our side as are the Springfield officers who clear traffic for us.

Most of all have fun and know that your presence does make a difference. Write, call or e-mail your elected officials ahead of time and let them know your are coming to meet with them. Do not be disappointed if they are not in the office when you get there. They do have legislative sessions or committee meetings they need to be at. I sometime have the sneaking suspicion that the so-called leaders schedule the sessions and committee meeting so that it conflicts with IGOLD . No proof but just a hunch.

This event does not happen without the help of hundreds of dedicated volunteers.

One standout is Mark The Sign Guy who singlehandedly makes all those gold signs to carry on the March. The cameras love them! Be sure to pick one up as you exit for the March.

Another way to help the cause is to post flyers about IGOLD to spread the word. Letter sized posters are available here : https://www.isra.org/Portals/6/ISRA%20Images/igold%20flier%201-2019.pdf?ver=2019-01-17-113852-483&timestamp=1547759537909

Print up a bunch and post them as you wander through your local guns shop, grocery store, department store etc. For all you subversive types maybe consider posting one in every store that posts a no-gun sign. No- wait. maybe that last part isn't a good idea. :cool:

11:45 a.m. Registration/Rally, Bank Of Springfield Ctr, 1 Convention Center Plaza

And as an FYI - both the BOS and the Capitol Building are posted Gun Free Zones. Because the march itself is a permitted event, it is also a Criminal Protection Zone.

Might wanna correct that for the IC readers..

Questions are good too.

Here is the ISRA webpage with information: http://igold.isra.org/WEDNESDAY April March 27th is the day to reserve.

Everything you need to know about signing up for one of the buses can be found here:http://archive.aweber.com/awlist4894361/Mn1rZ/h/IGOLD_Update_IGOLD_Buses.htm

Depending on where you live, taking the train might be a good option too.. You can catch as Amtak train from several locations around the Chicago area and get off within blocks of the Capitol.https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Illinois-Missouri-Services-Schedule-091317.pdf

Might wanna correct that for the IC readers..

Ops. Thanks for catching that.

It wouldn't be an IGOLD post if I wasn't chipping in with the Amtrak advertisement.

Chicago and Joliet Union stations are obvious starting points, given the near perfect timing of the northern half of the Lincoln Service schedule, arriving at the capitol at 10:30am and departing northbound at 5pm, it's really easy. But Pontiac, Bloomington, and the other locations on that part of the line are appropriate, too.

I've been using Joliet to start every year, even when I lived up more northerly by Mt. Prospect. Joliet has a new station and there's an uncrowded municipal parking garage three blocks northwest of the station that does not charge if you leave after about 7pm, as is typical. The departure is 8am. That train originates at Chicago Union at 7am, for the city boys and girls.

I now claim "senior" status and my round-trip fare is $28 if I recall correctly. Senior moments aside.
Coming from the St. Louis/Alton area and points southwest Lincoln Service can work, too, albeit a bit less perfect on the timing: you'll leave Alton at 7:30am and have time to kill at Springfield. Returning via the Texas Eagle, a long-distance train with sleepers and a diner as well as coach, you're southbound out of town at 5:15ish or so, but the Eagle does tend to run a bit late here and there.

Reservations are needed, either by phone or www.amtrak.com.

Sometimes for me, the train ride is the best part, relaxing in the lounge car and sneaking a cinnamon roll and coffee. Especially after my rude then-state senator closes the door in our faces as we're waiting to ask her why she's a gun-control-obsessive.

Well, I wasn't going to put it exactly like that, of course.

An update list of IGOLD buses.

IGOLD Buses

All Buses Arrive BOS Center

All Buses Depart 4:00 pm north end of Capitol (Monroe St)

ISRA-Sponsored Buses

Chicago-South

Call ISRA 815-635-3198 to reserve

Evergreen Park - WalMart - 2500 95th St - 7:00am

Oak Forest - Eagle Sports -5900 W 159th St - 7:50am $35 Non-Refundable

Chicagoland- West

GAT Guns - 970 Dundee Ave, East Dundee - 7:00am

Glen Ellyn WalMart - 3S100 IL-53 - 7:45 am $35 Non-Refundable

Rockford/Peru

Rockford: CherryVale Mall - 7200 Harrison Ave - 7:00am

( Northeast corner of mall parking lot near Petland and Bell School Rd.

Peru Walmart - 5307 IL-251 - 8:00am $35 Non-Refundable

Marion/Mt Vernon/Fairview Heights

Marion - WalMart - 2802 Outer Dr - 7:00am

Mt Vernon WalMart - 110 Davidson Rd - 8:00 am

Fairview Heights - St.Clair Square Mall - 9:00am

(Red Bird Express Parking lot near the water tower) $35 Non-Refundable

Buses Sponsored by others - Please do NOT call ISRA

Joliet - IDOT Park and Ride - 7:00am

Sponsored by Aurora Sportsmen's Club

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/igold-2019-bus-trip-

joliet-springfield-joliet-tickets-54921941004

You can't click on the link from this page, so here is

a shorter link you can type: https://bit.ly/2UBrHjm $27

Alton - 3685 E Broadway - 8:30am

Call Piasa Armory - (618) 433-2715 Donation

Chester/Red Bud/Waterloo - all along IL-3

Call Rick Hall - (618) 317-1176

Chester - Rozier's - 7:30am

Red Bud - City Park - 8:00am

Waterloo - WalMart - 8:15am $25

Marion - Cornerstone Church - 2705 Walton Way - 7:00am

Hood's Guns & More (618) 308-2348 $35

Quincy - RKBA Range

Pickup and time TBA

Call Mark Dempsey - 217-430-0338

mdempsey@adams.net $25

Decatur - Decatur Civic Center - 9:30 am

Call The Bullet Trap - 217-764-5678

Questions: Stacey@thebullettrap.com $20 Non-Refundable

Fairbury - Dave's Parking Lot, 170 S 4th St, 8:00AM

Contact David Slagel, david@slagel.com 815-848-0705 $25

Provide Cell #

Chillicothe/East Peoria/Morton

Chillicothe Sportsmens Club

Effingham - Thelma Keller Convention Center - 8:15 am

$25

Waukegan - St. Dismas Church - 6:00am

Shrank's Smoke 'N Gun - www.smokengun.org/igold-2019 $40

Rockford - Pine Tree Pistol Club - 7:00am

https://pinetreepistolclub.com $20

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking that I better not carry concealed if I attend IGOLD. I assume at least part of the day I would be in the capitol building which I assume is posted.

see post #1

...And as an FYI - both the BOS and the Capitol Building are posted Gun Free Zones. Because the march itself is a permitted event, it is also a Criminal Protection Zone.

Basically, the entire event is a gun free zone....

Does anybody know about the gun-rights rating of the Illinois congress members? I know that the NRA scores politicians on a A->F scale. Not sure if this is done for state members, but I would like to confront my reps and remind them of their rating tomorrow for iGold if possible.

I'm sure they would be very proud of getting an F from the NRA.

Does anybody know about the gun-rights rating of the Illinois congress members? I know that the NRA scores politicians on a A->F scale. Not sure if this is done for state members, but I would like to confront my reps and remind them of their rating tomorrow for iGold if possible.

The NRA PVF site has grades of candidates in elections. Not sure about current office holders although it looks like everytown has them archived.

Archived