Utah CFP instructor class

thedriver

I recently got an email from this place, If anyone interested in enrolling for the Utah concealed firearm permit instructor training course? A private security company has been in talks with the Utah Department of Public Safety and they're trying to make these classes recurring every year within the 5 state region of Illinois but that will depend upon the enrollment of students who enroll in the course which are Friday, May 19 and Saturday, May 20 if there is a good turn out of candidates for Utah Department public safety BCI. The deadline for these classes for sign-up is May 10, The course fee is $385 which includes lunch see you don't have to pack a lunch and you only have to take either class to get your certification.

http://www.usibureau.org/instructor-training.html

Don't feed this beast! Usbi took money from a lot of instructor's to use either the old Harvey range or the University Park police range and left them hangin. I would not involve myself with anything this guy has a hand in. I went to Utah in Nov to renew and talked to the instructors about doing another off sight certification and they said there was no way it would happen again and now here we go. This JH3 can sell sand to an Arab!

Don't feed this beast! Usbi took money from a lot of instructor's to use either the old Harvey range or the University Park police range and left them hangin. I would not involve myself with anything this guy has a hand in. I went to Utah in Nov to renew and talked to the instructors about doing another off sight certification and they said there was no way it would happen again and now here we go. This JH3 can sell sand to an Arab!

The class here is real. I spoke with BCI about it when I gave them a call about a separate matter. I know they said they were not doing offsite classes anymore, but they have reversed on that position.

My wife and I have gone to Utah twice for the classes. Due again next year and will probably go back. It is a nice vacation if you head to the mountains for a few days before or after the class.

Utah charges $35 for the class. It is cheaper for me to fly there and take the class plus get a free mini vacation. That is what I have decided to do. Not against free enterprise, but the economics of it make sense to me. Plus I can do some genealogy while i am there and see the mountains. Never been to Utah.

$385 for the Utah class? Isn't the Utah CCL training requirement included in most IL CCL classes?

No. Florida and Arizona will accept Illinois training for application for their non-resident permits as well. Utah, on the other hand, requires that you receive training specific to the state provided by an instructor who has been approved by the state. The training is a 4 hour classroom requirement with no mandatory range time. If your Illinois instructor was not also a Utah certified instructor and did not include the Utah content in your class, you cannot use the training to obtain a Utah license. If this training was included, your instructor would provide you with a Utah CFP application, and would need to sign and stamp the application in order for it to be valid.

I got my first Utah instructor creds via this outfit. The class is legit. Agents from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification fly in and teach it. When I did it a few years ago, you could have all your paperwork (photos, too, if need be) completed and sent before you left for the day.
Yeah, $385 seems high at first glance. That said, the option is to fly out to Utah to take the instructor's course, so, ya know, I'm not sure there's a cheaper or less time-consuming alternative.
It's a bite out of the wallet, but the Utah agents move at a good clip, are helpful and funny guys ... and the lunch is good.
Haven't decided whether I'm going to re-up. I just don't teach the class all that often.
If you do get the Utah instructor cred, the Utah BCI is very helpful and quick if you have any problems, questions or need materials. There's only a few people assigned to the unit that handles permits, but they don't dally.

$54K for one weekend is a nice haul. I wish I could make that kind of bread teaching the Utah class.

Might be a portion of why the Utah folks will still do this out-of-state event. Would have to believe a decent chunk of that change is paid to the Utah agents and/or their agency.

No, The Utah BCI is just charging what their actual cost are by law, Usbi (JH3) is the one making the money by hosting it.

Utah did not want to nor did they do offsite training since last time they were here but somehow the were convinced to change their minds.

I have no qualms with the Professionalism off the Utah instructors, it's Usbi that is the issue, even tho the class IS LEGIT the person profiting from it are lowest forms of life.

$54K for one weekend is a nice haul. I wish I could make that kind of bread teaching the Utah class.

Might be a portion of why the Utah folks will still do this out-of-state event. Would have to believe a decent chunk of that change is paid to the Utah agents and/or their agency.

No, The Utah BCI is just charging what their actual cost are by law, Usbi (JH3) is the one making the money by hosting it.

Utah did not want to nor did they do offsite training since last time they were here but somehow the were convinced to change their minds.

I have no qualms with the Professionalism off the Utah instructors, it's Usbi that is the issue, even tho the class IS LEGIT the person profiting from it are lowest forms of life.

OK.

Maybe USBI sucks; I've no idea.

My only experience with them has been the one visit for this class a few years ago. Paid the fee, got what was advertised.

Either you pay the instructor or you pay the airline, hotel, taxi company, car rental agency....

I don't have any qualm with them running this class at a profit, as long as they are providing a value to their clients, which I think they are.

I have heard about something from an extremely reliable source that if it happens, will make all of this a moot point next year anyways.

In any case, I'd have to believe $54K isn't net.
The reimbursement for two or three Utah state troopers for two days, plus their travel and lodging, has to be a piece of change.
And, as the above poster said, the point of being in business generally includes making a profit.

If someone's got an issue with USBI, I doubt it stems from this class. This is a pretty simple either/or decision: If you want the Utah instructor cred, do you wish to pay the $385 to take the class in the 'burbs or do you wish to pay the expenses of taking it in Utah?

Archived