Lincolnwood

phillster

Hello,

Lincolnwood has a home-rule preemption of the assault weapons ban. However, their code still prohibits assault weapons.

The definition of assault weapons is as follows (Exactly from the code):

"ASSAULT WEAPON — Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily

restored to shoot automatically more than one shot without manually reloading by a single

function of the trigger, including the frame or receiver of any such weapon."

I am new to firearms so I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am assuming this means that their definition of assault rifle means an automatic? Can someone please help me out on what manually reloading by a single function of the trigger would mean?

It sounds like they are referring to weapons able to fire multiple rounds with a single trigger pull?

Those weapons are illegal as a whole pretty much anywhere for normal citizens, unless part of law enforcement/government/FFL holders.

It sounds like they are referring to weapons able to fire multiple rounds with a single trigger pull?

Those weapons are illegal as a whole pretty much anywhere for normal citizens, unless part of law enforcement/government/FFL holders.

The link below will show there are only 9 states + D. C. where full auto is illegal . Many people are unaware of this.

http://www.opencarry.org/machinegun.html

The link below will show there are only 9 states + D. C. where full auto is illegal . Many people are unaware of this.

http://www.opencarry.org/machinegun.html

I did not know that, I assume you have to jump through hoops to get licensed to own those though?

Lot depends on the state you are in , plus I think the gun had to be registered by 1986 , maybe 1985. The cost of any full auto firearm , legal to own , will empty out the bank account too .

Add to that the cost of ammo to feed the firearm ....not a poor persons game to get into.

http://www.opencarry...machinegun.html

I did not know that, I assume you have to jump through hoops to get licensed to own those though?

The hoops are easy. It is coming up with the $15,000+ to buy one which is a problem.

Only weapons registered prior to 1986 are legal to own.

Supply and demand takes care of the rest.

http://www.opencarry...machinegun.html

You must apply to the ATF, pay a $200.00 transfer tax and are limited to buying machine guns manufactured prior to 1986. Of course the supply is static so as demand goes up they get very costly. The ATF requires the Sheriff or police chief of the jurisdiction to sign-off on the transfer.

I recently examined Lincolnwood's AWB because a friend of mine lives there. I must have found an old version because they used to have a modified version of Cook's AWB with a list of firearms.

I found it of interest that they had banned: "Cole AR-15".

This is good news, my friend will be pleased.

Class 3 license holders are able to enjoy these freedoms in most of the United States. An exception would be "suprise", Illinois.

Class 3 license holders are able to enjoy these freedoms in most of the United States. An exception would be "suprise", Illinois.

Class 3 are dealers of NFA.

Buyers do not need to be "class 3" FFL holders to purchase NFA. They merely need to pay a tax and fill out a form 1 or form 4(depending on NFA object)

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the replies. If I could edit my original post I would, but I'm not sure how.

Anyways,

I would just like to add, and I REALLY should've in my original post, that all the information I gave was based on my research, and I can't claim it to be 100% true. I don't want to see a bunch of Lincolnwood residents suddenly purchase assault weapons and then they turn out to be illegal. As far as I know, they are correct, but this is, again, just based off what I've researched in a relatively short period of time.

Sound's like they are banning a weapon that is capable of firing more than one round at a time with a single trigger pull.

It also sound like the "once a machine gun; always a machine gun" rule which is why many M14 receiver's were essentially destroyed.

Even if the selector were welded shut, if it was designed to operate full auto and could be converted back; it's not allowed.

Modern AR15's that we civilians typically have are only semi automatic and were never designed for full auto use. Sound's a lot like my cities law which basically states any weapon that can fire 2 or more shots using one trigger pull is not allowed.

Full auto is awesome. Some stupid law back in the 80s I believe it was made it illegal to manufacture for the civilian market. They are like all other NFA weapons(short barrel rifles and shotguns and AOWs) u have to give the AFT 200 bucks to buy one and not live in Illinois. Because machine guns are now only manufactured for law enforcement and military they are in limited supply for us and that causes the massive price increase. The police chief of Heyworth Illinois, a town of about 5000 surrounded by corn fields, has a full auto M4 that he takes home with him at night. This is not hear say, I've seen it (HE showed it to me) been offered to shoot it as well. More power to him.

IMO we need to concentrate on getting CCW here as a top priority but once that is done I feel that getting Illinois in compliance with federal laws on the super cool guns should be next on the list.

How about working on repealing some of the laws on those super cool guns?

I hate the idea of a shrinking pool of products with increasing demand. I don't want to have to sell a kidney just to buy one.

I agree completely. These laws are almost 100 years old. Most of the AOW laws as well as those about short barrels were only written because the original NFA law included handguns so those laws were there to prevent the manufacture of handguns. All gun laws should be repealed federal and state. Illinois has no business out right banning something that is only federally "restricted"

I do see that as secondary to RTC. I'd rather be able to carry a semi-auto for personal protection before I would buy an automatic, but once RTC is done (will it ever really be DONE? no!) then it would be nice to see the NRA get behind fixing these other crappy laws.

* I don't speak for the NRA and I'm happy to keep donating to them *

Archived