New Combined FCCL and FOID?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

As is topic title, Did I miss the arrival/announcement of a combination card? 

Another forum I'm on suggests such a thing exists.  

#2 dennyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

It would sound reasonable, but I haven’t heard.

1911........Much faster than 911

ISRA Life
NRA Life Benefactor, NRA Golden Eagles
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor
Illinois State Police Certified CCW Instructor

#3 cybermgk

• 1,107 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

As is topic title, Did I miss the arrival/announcement of a combination card? 

Another forum I'm on suggests such a thing exists.  

Another forum is perhaps mistaken and/or deluded.,

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#4 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

As I recall when concealed carry passed there was alot of talk about these two cards becoming one and even recall a few politicians talking about it. My memory has never been my best asset, but all that chatter completely died down.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#5 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,689 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL.  The numbers of each were the same.  One card makes too much sense as does showing the endorsement on a Driver's license.  That would eliminate patronage jobs.................

Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#6 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 7,463 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL.  The numbers of each were the same.  One card makes too much sense as does showing the endorsement on a Driver's license.  That would eliminate patronage jobs.................

Yes, but they still maintain two separate cards with separate expiration dates and separate fees...yes?

I know the FCCL is considered acceptable in place of a FOID for the sake of making a purchase, but that doesn't make it a replacement for the FOID, but rather a complement to it. 

Edited by TRJ, 13 March 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#7 Patriots & Tyrants

• 4,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

I thought part of the CCL law was studying potentially combining the two? 

#8 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

It had a time limit that time limit passed. Actually didnt even get off the ground in the stated time period. The Secretary of State and the Illinois State police didnt want to get together.

Edited by spec5, 13 March 2018 - 10:08 AM.

NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#9 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

It had a time limit that time limit passed. Actually didnt even get off the ground in the stated time period. The Secretary of State and the Illinois State police didnt want to get together.

Two government entities not communicating. Imagine that.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#10 InterestedBystander

• 4,293 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

While there would be a convenience factor, I would not care to have the Walmart (or whereever) clerk know I have a CCL when buying ammo.

Best guess as to OP discussion would be those getting the 2 cards with the same number now as mentioned above.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 13 March 2018 - 10:42 AM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️

#11 Eli Mcfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:35 AM

I rather keep the two licenses separate. Imo

#12 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL.  The numbers of each were the same....

I got my cards after the initial issuance period. I did not get a new FOID with my CCL. The number on my CCL is the same as on my existing FOID.

What would make sense (maybe too much?) is if I get a new FOID when I renew my CCL, because otherwise the FOID would expire before the (renewed) CCL. That's a few years yet for me.

Edited by Euler, 13 March 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#13 gangrel

• 2,957 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

I'd rather have the FOID go away. As stated above, the FCCA as passed included a provision to study combining the FOID and CCL, but not a directive to do so. That never happened. What the other forum's posters may be confused about is ISP's current practice of reissuing a FOID with the licensee's CCL number. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety
ISP Approved Firearm Concealed Carry Instructor

Utah CCW Instructor

#14 Hatchet

• 2,625 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

One of the main arguments was the FOID is 10 year and CCL is 5 year. And no one liked the idea of the foid expiring sooner than it already does, as it would have still been the same cost, just twice as often.

ETA: What it should be is if you have a CCL you don't need a FOID. FOID would only be needed if you owned and didn't want to carry.

Of course the foid gone all together is best, but odds are...

Edited by Hatchet, 13 March 2018 - 12:55 PM.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#15 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 7,463 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

One of the main arguments was the FOID is 10 year and CCL is 5 year. And no one liked the idea of the foid expiring sooner than it already does, as it would have still been the same cost, just twice as often.

ETA: What it should be is if you have a CCL you don't need a FOID. FOID would only be needed if you owned and didn't want to carry.

yes, but some folks don't want to advertise that they are armed when they're buying ammo at walmart.  I have friends with FCCL who don't carry. It was obtained because they know s happens and they don't want to be caught in red tape purgatory should they wake up one day and need to carry. They keep the FCCL in their safe and carry their FOID  cards.

#16 Quiet Observer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

yes, but some folks don't want to advertise that they are armed when they're buying ammo at walmart.  I have friends with FCCL who don't carry. It was obtained because they know s happens and they don't want to be caught in red tape purgatory should they wake up one day and need to carry. They keep the FCCL in their safe and carry their FOID  cards.

The argument of using FOID vs FCCL has long passed qualifying for the Preakness.  I have yet to hear it announced over the PA, "Attention in the store.  Janice Olsen is buying ammunition with her CCL".  Other than the clerk, 1 or 2 others might see, briefly, the ID that a purchaser is using.  They don't care.  

I will use the card, or cards, that I choose.  Everyone is free to make their own choice.  All choices have their real and imagined benefits and risks.

#17 Raw Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Those that received their FCCL after the initial issuance period recieved a new FOID with their FCCL.  The numbers of each were the same....

I got my cards after the initial issuance period. I did not get a new FOID with my CCL. The number on my CCL is the same as on my existing FOID.

What would make sense (maybe too much?) is if I get a new FOID when I renew my CCL, because otherwise the FOID would expire before the (renewed) CCL. That's a few years yet for me.

You probably got your FOID after the CCL was enacted then. I got my CCL fairly early on, and I was issued a new FOID with a new number that matches my CCL.

#18 2A4Cook

Old and Cranky

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:00 AM

Before the election, I'm sure they'll ram through a bill requiring your FOID to be crazy glued to your a** and have "WARNING: CHILD MURDERING PSYCHO GUN NUT" tattooed on your forehead ... and another restricting gun ownership to .22 caliber single action revolvers.

#19 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

I could live with a single FOID/FCCL card but there is no way I want either noted on my DL for anyone to see when I show my DL for a financial transaction.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#20 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Same here.

#21 FarmHand357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Same here.

Me three.  There are times I want to be able to purchase ammo or even a gun without revealing that I might be licensed to concealed carry.

Punish the crime, not the freedom

#22 vito

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

I was  in the very first group of people to receive the FCCL back in March 2014. When I learned that it would serve the purpose of the FOID for buying guns and ammo I stopped carrying the FOID at all. I have been under the impression that if I had any encounter with law enforcement the FCCL would serve to cover me since you cannot get an FCCL without already having a valid FOID. Do the rest of you still carry both cards, and if so, why?

Retired U.S. Army and Veteran of the Vietnam conflict

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#23 soundguy

• 4,963 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

I always carry both.

FOID for buying as needed.

CCL for Law Enforcement only.

I see no reason to let some [Walmart clerk] know I might be armed.

It is my hope the two will always remain separate.

Edited by soundguy, 17 March 2018 - 05:25 PM.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#24 vito

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

Personally I could not care less if the clerk in the gun shop, or Walmart, knows that I have an FCCL. He still has no idea if I am carrying at that moment. And if he suspects I am, so what?

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#25 papa

• Members
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Personally I could not care less if the clerk in the gun shop, or Walmart, knows that I have an FCCL. He still has no idea if I am carrying at that moment. And if he suspects I am, so what?

I have carried my FOID card every day since I first got one at the age of 15. I am now 63 , working on 64 and don't see a reason to not carry it.  I also do not want to see the cards combined.

#26 InterestedBystander

• 4,293 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

Theres more to the story, BUT...

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=53816017

A Walmart employee's tip has led to a large weapons bust near a college campus in upstate New York.

..."Federal authorities filed charges against Maximilien Reynolds, 19, on Friday for two counts of possession of an unregistered destructive device and a silencer, false statement in acquisition of a firearm and a false statement in required firearm record.

According to the criminal complaint, a Walmart employee in Ithaca, New York, called police after Reynolds allegedly purchased ammunition, camping gear, drill bits, tools, hacksaw blades and knives with a gift card."...

Maybe this should go in the Walmart thread instead ;-)

Edited by InterestedBystander, 17 March 2018 - 10:07 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️

#27 rmart

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

This^

One card means at gov't discretion you lose both the license to carry and the license to own and possess...

Rather not make it that easy.

Unless of course they decide you no longer need a card to own and possess but we know that'll never happen.

NRA Endowment Life Member

ISRA Member

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Father of two great kids and husband of one great wife

Civilization is not always advancing. The latest point in time is not necessarily the most enlightened. Society can regress. ~Dan Proft

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars... ~unknown

Right-wing action is the cleanup crew for left-wing fantasy ~Greg Gutfeld Nov 2015

"A general dissolution of the principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy.

While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." ~ Samuel Adams 1779 to James Warren

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster

How much can you put in your signature before it becomes too long??

#28 vito

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

My not carrying the FOID is for two reasons. One, I am trying continuously to lighten the load in my wallet to avoid long term back and hip pain. I find that with only carrying what I truly need in the wallet I can keep it thin and light and easily fit into my right front pocket. The second reason is that should I ever lose my wallet, I will still have my FOID card at home and not even temporarily find myself technically committing a felony by having firearms in my home and no FOID card. 

NRA Life Member

Fully retired!

#29 111G2

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

I carry both FOID and CCW with me at all times. I've ran into gun shop and walmart employees that don't know the law and swear that I can't buy ammo with the CCW permit. I also don't always want to let the clerk know that I'm carrying. 

#30 Gebbster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

My not carrying the FOID is for two reasons. One, I am trying continuously to lighten the load in my wallet to avoid long term back and hip pain. I find that with only carrying what I truly need in the wallet I can keep it thin and light and easily fit into my right front pocket. The second reason is that should I ever lose my wallet, I will still have my FOID card at home and not even temporarily find myself technically committing a felony by having firearms in my home and no FOID card.

As stated I do this also.
I don’t carry the foid and when I go to the range they won’t take the cal, they just take my drivers license to hold. I have had a Dicks employee say he can’t sell with this buttold him to get the mgr and read the laws. The mgr came over, I had to tell him the same thing. He said it makes sense and sold us the 22LR. This was when it was scarce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users