Photo

New to AR-15, recommend a rifle rest to zero a red dot?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Constable85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

Can anyone recommend a budget rifle rest that I could use to zero my red dot at an indoor range (25 yards)?  I'm new to Ar-15's and need some recommendations. Thanks! 

#2 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

You don't really need a fancy rifle rest to zero anything with a red dot imo. Just rest the gun on a sandbag, your folded up carrying case (that you don't mind getting dirty and full of lead dust) or anything like that. That's even how I zero scoped rifles. I never noticed any difference in the ability of a rifle to be zeroed with a purpose built rifle rest vs whatever you have laying around to prop it up with personally. YMMV.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#3 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

If you are going to zero it that close, why not just use a laser boresight?

#4 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

Use a sand bag, a rolled up blanket, etc.

#5 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

if you have a old pair of pants make a bag out of one of the legs fill with rice  Duct Tape is your friend   :clap:

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#6 Constable85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

I might take a trip out to Buffalo Range to zero it. Then again, I'm kind of lazy and might not. They make targets for zeroing red dots at 25 yards that are supposed to be equal to zeroing at 100 yards. I'll probably go to RKA and do it. Something new to try. 

#7 ScopeEye

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

When shooting at bench with what ever rest or bag you'll find shorter mag's (5 rd / 10 rd)  more friendly.

Lot's of ranges have rest's or sand bags to use

Illinois Carry Member

NRA Life Member

ISRA Member

2nd Amendment Foundation Member

#8 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

I might take a trip out to Buffalo Range to zero it. Then again, I'm kind of lazy and might not. They make targets for zeroing red dots at 25 yards that are supposed to be equal to zeroing at 100 yards. I'll probably go to RKA and do it. Something new to try. 

GAT guns also has an indoor rifle range that has 50 and 75 yard lanes.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#9 TRJ

The Original TRJ, Accept No Impostors

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:28 AM

Not what you asked, but a (roughly) 50/200 zero is a flatter trajectory and closer to intended point of aim over more ground.

http://jerkingthetri...ro-at-10-yards/

I always just use my range bag. I figure if I ever get forced into using a rifle it will be a situation where I won't have any modern conveniences like rests or nice sandbags so I might as well get comfortable shooting off the bag I plan to grab on the way out the door.

What kind of dot/ mount do you have, and how does it co-witness the irons?

Edited by TRJ, 21 August 2018 - 04:36 AM.

#10 WitchDoctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

TRJ said:

"Not what you asked, but a (roughly) 50/200 zero is a flatter trajectory and closer to intended point of aim over more ground."

Sage advice given by TRJ. After this at 25 meters you would aim just a tad lower and you will be on the money.

IC Sponsor

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

Airborne

3/504 P.I.R

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

#11 drumgod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

This thread contains the targets you need to do a 50 or 100 yard zero on a 25 yard range:

https://www.ar15.com...___/18-529846/?

Those targets will get you pretty close and then you can fine-tune when you can get a chance to shoot at that actual distance...

#12 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Members
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

TRJ said:
"Not what you asked, but a (roughly) 50/200 zero is a flatter trajectory and closer to intended point of aim over more ground."

Sage advice given by TRJ. After this at 25 meters you would aim just a tad lower and you will be on the money.

I use a 50/200 yard zero and try to use 55gr M193 ammo.

This chart gives you a good idea of what a 50/200 zero is.

***. Well it would if I could get the chart to load. ****

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#13 Illinois Sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

For most people, a 50 yard zero on iron sight and red dot ARs is ideal. Most scoped ARs get a 100 yard zero.

I go to GAT Guns who has 50 yard indoor ranges perfect for zeroing. I got Caldwell AR bags which have worked nicely.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government... The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."     Alexander Hamilton

#14 Rockdiver

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Can anyone recommend a budget rifle rest that I could use to zero my red dot at an indoor range (25 yards)?  I'm new to Ar-15's and need some recommendations. Thanks!

If you are in the Chicago area I will happily give you my Lead Sled if you will get some use out of it. I have been in a pretty bad way due to a torn up knee in 2015 that has been reinjured to the point of near uselessness. I havnt used it in 3 years. Its yours if you want to pick it up, but you might want to consider a few small sandbags for future use. They more realistically approximate an improvised rest, and are a heck of a lot more comfortable prone.

Rocco
«««««ROCCO M. WLODAREK»»»»»
CHIEF INSTRUCTOR/ TC
BLACK FLAG FIREARMS TRAINING
WWW.BLACKFLAGTRAINING.COM
847-561-6030

#15 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,341 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

If you are in the Chicago area I will happily give you my Lead Sled if you will get some use out of it. I have been in a pretty bad way due to a torn up knee in 2015 that has been reinjured to the point of near uselessness. I havnt used it in 3 years. Its yours if you want to pick it up, but you might want to consider a few small sandbags for future use. They more realistically approximate an improvised rest, and are a heck of a lot more comfortable prone.

Rocco

If the OP isn't interested in your Lead Sled, I would happily take it off your hands. I have been looking to acquire one for a bit but never got around to it. I'm up on the North Side, near Irving Park/Albany Park area, but I would gladly travel to wherever needed to pick it up.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#16 Rockdiver

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

That will work. Im in Park Ridge, right down the street so to speak. Ill message you when I get home.
«««««ROCCO M. WLODAREK»»»»»
CHIEF INSTRUCTOR/ TC
BLACK FLAG FIREARMS TRAINING
WWW.BLACKFLAGTRAINING.COM
847-561-6030

#17 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

I zero'd a new red dot (romeo5) a few weeks ago bending over the stall's table with the rifle resting on an ammo box....
I put impact an inch below point of aim to get a 50 yard zero on a 25yard range...

Done and done... :)
romeo5shots2.jpg

#18 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,341 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

That will work. Im in Park Ridge, right down the street so to speak. Ill message you when I get home.

Was that a reply to my posting? I had some personal issues to deal with and got side-tracked from online stuff, but if you still have the sled and are willing to part with it, please let me know.

I tried to PM you, but got the message that you can't receive any more of those.

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 05 September 2018 - 06:39 PM.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users