50 round boxes of LE marked ammo

TRJ

Buckle up. Looks like there's some waves coming our way in the way of price increases and restrictions.

https://sigtalk.com/ammo-reloading/329312-federal-hst-50-round-boxes-restricted.html

I've verified the price increases have rippled through at SGAmmo. Might pay to see if you have inventory gaps before any potential lock down or massive price increase happens.

How often do you shoot this type of ammo? I ask (and maybe this should be a different thread) because I basically have 3 different bullets for my 9mm.

Range time: Standard FMJ for $.20 a round or less.

SHTF: IMI JHP that runs about $0.35 a round.

HD/ Self defense: Hornady Critical Defense. I think I got it on sale for like $.85 a round.

One 20 round box of Hornady (with some already loaded in a mag) and two boxes of IMI (with some already loaded in a mag) are all I keep on hand. I have several boxes of FMJ for range time...but I I'm going on the assumption that if there is an event where I've shot through all of my Critical Defense, and need more ammo, we are probably in SHTF mode.....and if we are in SHTF mode, I have better weapons suited for the task at home.

My hope is that I never, ever, ever need to shoot the Critical Defense (outside of cycling through it in a few years).

I don't expect to ever shoot the IMI outside of cycling through it. I have more of it stored and will need to cycle through, but it it isn't "super" expensive.

I noticed in the linked thread that someone was buying 1,000 rounds of it, so I wasn't sure how it was used.

How often do you shoot this type of ammo? I ask (and maybe this should be a different thread) because I basically have 3 different bullets for my 9mm.

Range time: Standard FMJ for $.20 a round or less.

SHTF: IMI JHP that runs about $0.35 a round.

HD/ Self defense: Hornady Critical Defense. I think I got it on sale for like $.85 a round.

One 20 round box of Hornady (with some already loaded in a mag) and two boxes of IMI (with some already loaded in a mag) are all I keep on hand. I have several boxes of FMJ for range time...but I I'm going on the assumption that if there is an event where I've shot through all of my Critical Defense, and need more ammo, we are probably in SHTF mode.....and if we are in SHTF mode, I have better weapons suited for the task at home.

My hope is that I never, ever, ever need to shoot the Critical Defense (outside of cycling through it in a few years).

I don't expect to ever shoot the IMI outside of cycling through it. I have more of it stored and will need to cycle through, but it it isn't "super" expensive.

I noticed in the linked thread that someone was buying 1,000 rounds of it, so I wasn't sure how it was used.

A few points to explain.

1) Some folks like to have enough of it to test several hundred rounds in a carry gun because you absolutely positively want to know it's going to run as well a s practice ball if the day ever comes.

2) Some folks like to have a magazine and a reload of defensive ammo for every gun they own. Some people have a lot of guns.

3) The last time we had an ammo shortage the 9mm spigot was shut tighter than a wealthy spinster squeezing a nickel.

4) Some folks swap it out every so often. It's dangerous to re-chamber the same round a lot as it might affect the setback and result on kaboom type over-pressure. Not a surprise you want in a defensive use moment.

That's gonna hurt Federal more than anybody. They are the ones that are gonna sell a whole lot less of that ammo.

It's a vista thing, not a Federal thing exclusively...so CCI, Speer, Independence...Gold Dot price is definitely going up. When the competition sees the change they'll adjust their prices to follow the market.

That's gonna hurt Federal more than anybody. They are the ones that are gonna sell a whole lot less of that ammo.

It's a vista thing, not a Federal thing exclusively...so CCI, Speer, Independence...Gold Dot price is definitely going up. When the competition sees the change they'll adjust their prices to follow the market.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

4) Some folks swap it out every so often. It's dangerous to re-chamber the same round a lot as it might affect the setback and result on kaboom type over-pressure. Not a surprise you want in a defensive use moment.

Bullet setback causing kabooms is a myth that has been disproved many many times already.

You can attack a high pressure round like .40 S&W with a hammer until it looks like this and it still won't kaboom.

Bullet-Setback-300x225.jpg

https://dailycaller.com/2013/03/05/battered-bullets-does-bullet-setback-matter/

I have also fired rounds that were oxidized green and over 20 years old and they all went boom. Still I await the inevitable better to be safe than sorry retort. And yes I refresh my ammo every year or so. Not because I think it went bad but because I practiced with it.

Last chance at this price ....while it lasts....https://www.streichers.com/federal-cartridge-9mm-hst-hp-duty-ammunition

147gr HST for 21.99 a box.

They charge tax. Spend more than $100 and get free shipping. Set up a new account and use code WELCOME to save $10% on first order.

Edit... window is closed... now requires LEO creds to buy.

I got to thinking about this and remembered reading about Vista Outdoor saying in February that they intend to raise prices, and then later reading that the CEO was perplexed because the competition didn't follow them.

Here's the initial price increase story.https://www.guns.com/news/2018/02/09/vista-outdoor-ammo-price-increase-set-for-april/

I suppose that if it gets to the point that you can only get HST's in 20 round "consumer" boxes, and no RA9T's at all, the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 124 +P is an option, although you're now going to the smaller round and much higher velocity. The tests I've seen on these have been pretty impressive, but I'd hate to lose that big expansion you get with the 147gr Federal and Win rounds.

I'm not sure if true, but on one of the other forums there's a few saying that the 147+p isn't made any more, and 124+p isn't packed into consumer 20 round boxes. That would mean they are effectively creating a load ban for the peasants who just aren't important enough or smart enough or trustworthy enough to handle or own 124+p HST.

A lot of people rely on the DocGKR load list of which rounds are good to go and the standard 124 HST isn't on it. It's unclear if that means untested or unworthy.

So I went looking for an answer to my question framed in my previous post.

From the horse's mouth...

"much like with the 124 gr GD, both the standard pressure and +P 124 gr HST work, the +P is a just a bit better for LE duty use and neither are as good as the 147 gr HST. And before you ask, the 147 gr +P HST is not quite as ideal as the standard pressure 147 gr HST."

Further refinement to the answer indicated that 124+p has an edge over standard 124 with a sheet metal barrier making it slightly better for police use.

Archived