Seth Lewis - 2A position? (candidate IL Senate district 23)

InterestedBystander

Seth is running against Tom Cullerton for IL senate district 23.

Tom, while a Dem from suburban Chicago had previously earned a B rating from the NRA-PVF and has generally been friendly to 2A issues, now has a current NRA rating of C.

https://www.nrapvf.org/grades/Illinois

Seth is listed as ? (did he not return NRA survey?) and I see nothing on his web page. Does anyone have current info on Seth and his 2A position?

Toms alright, but you know hes probably gonna tow the Democratic party line (Ban all the things) when push comes to shove. Seth may or may not be any better.

So far TC has not gotten on the ban wagon. He did support one bill that his office did not seem to fully understand when I talked to a staff worker. (They also said the ISRA supported it.) I kind of wonder what brought him down to a C rating. I dont get warm and fuzzies with Seth being vague about the 2A. We've got too many wishy washy Rs lately...can you say NYBO?

Toms alright, but you know hes probably gonna tow the Democratic party line (Ban all the things) when push comes to shove. Seth may or may not be any better.

So far TC has not gotten on the ban wagon. He did support one bill that his office did not seem to fully understand when I talked to a staff worker. (They also said the ISRA supported it.) I kind of wonder what brought him down to a C rating. I dont get warm and fuzzies with Seth being vague about the 2A. We've got too many wishy washy Rs lately...can you say NYBO?

I can't. But I can say Winger.

https://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lists/2018/09/28/005b9d438e1940a8b69b5097c2013a8f/index.xml?page=2

State candidates tackle gun control, abortion at League of Women Voters forum

By MARY STROKAEmailFollow

Oct. 4, 2018

GLEN ELLYN – Candidates for the Illinois General Assembly shared their thoughts on everything from gun control to immigration to abortion during the League of Women Voters of Glen Ellyn's candidate forum Sept. 27 at Glenbard South High School in Glen Ellyn.

...Next, state Sen. Tom Cullerton, D-Villa Park, faced Republican challenger Seth Lewis of Bartlett. Regarding gun control, Cullerton spoke of gun control bills the Illinois General Assembly passed this year, including the 72-hour gun purchase waiting period and bump stock ban.

"This is a constant issue that is going to be plaguing every country, every state. ... It would be nice if we would see on a U.S. level that the U.S. Congress would take up some of the issues that we have taken up here in Illinois and take up some of the points that we have done and we have established," Cullerton said.

Lewis said he believes in the Second Amendment and the legal ownership of guns, but guns should be kept out of the hands of people who don't "have the ability or capacity to use them and may be wanting to use them for wrong things."

He is in favor of banning bump stocks and trigger guards and keeping guns out of schools, he said...

I looked it up and see that Tom did vote against the dealer licensing bill, and he is generally pro-2a. Seth appears likely pro-2a, but squishy pro-2a... (the line about "people who don't..." is the standard line regarding mental illness now since Parkland. Unfortunately banning bump stocks is now the "norm".)

Regarding Winger, I am still quite upset at her. She did personally call me back when I left a message regarding her vote on dealer licensing. She's still far better than her opponent.

I'm not sure why NRA downgraded Tom's grade. They have been doing a bunch of things that I don;t get lately. But Tom Cullerton has been a stand up guy for gun owners. He was against the dealer bill. He was against a semi-auto ban and mag ban right after one of the major shootings. He even was against Kotowski's last failed attempt at a mag ban that failed by 2 votes.

In a world where dems are slipping farther and farther left and republicans are putting their fingers to the wind on our issues, we are going to need all the friends we can get. And if the repubs lose more seats, then we are goign to need more pro-gun voices in the dem caucus to keep the others at bay.

I would vote for Tom if I lived in his district and he has my support for what ever it is worth.

Todd

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't verify but have seen ads recently claiming Seth Lewis largest contributor is also largest contributer to anti-gun GPAC. Of course I am suspicious of the claims.

Also received ISRA letter in support of Tom Cullerton (D) claiming other anti-gun Dems are running items against him because of prior pro-2A positions. Its not like there is another Democrat to vote for, nor have I seen any of these, but I found this interesting.

I couldn't verify but have seen ads recently claiming Seth Lewis largest contributor is also largest contributer to anti-gun GPAC. Of course I am suspicious of the claims.

Also received ISRA letter in support of Tom Cullerton (D) claiming other anti-gun Dems are running items against him because of prior pro-2A positions. Its not like there is another Democrat to vote for, nor have I seen any of these, but I found this interesting.

I got the Seth takes money from anti-gun politicians mailer today too. I've already pulled the lever so not much I can do now. If he wins, he (or the office girl) and I will be on a first name basis in short order. I don't often say it, but this is one race where if Tom (the democrat) wins I'm not worried about being completely ignored. He's been a good senator overall.

Archived