Non-Resident CCW Residency

peteydoug

Hello again everyone!

I had a quick question regarding legal residency and having a non-resident CCW. I recently submitted my application for a CCW and to my understanding, it will become void if I become an IL resident. My wife is moving to Chicago in January and I was going to put myself on the lease (I'm the one with the good credit :laugh:) and was going to apply for zoned parking for her car (that's in my name). Will the process for a parking permit and/or the lease establish me as a resident of IL and make my CCW void? I'm not planning on switching my license over from Virginia. I regularly travel for work weeks at a time and plan on flying to Chicago a few times per month.

Thanks for any help guys!

I am an Illinois resident but I own a house in Wisconsin and land in Indiana. Because my Drivers License is Illinois, I am still considered a resident of Illinois and not Wisconsin or Indiana. I do pay property tax in Wisconsin but am considered a non resident. Same for Indiana but am considered just a non resident landowner. I also spend most of my time in Illinois. That is another factor. If I was to spend most of my time in Wisconsin, I would legally have to change my state of residence.

So the point I'm making is that if you are maintaining a residence in Virginia, you should be fine. I know folks that maintain their residence in Illinois but own a condo down in Florida. Some even have a personal car registered in Florida to them that they leave down there for when they travel to their condo.

Archived