Anyone ever see a ambulance posted?

blck10th

So today I was driving around with my son and he says hey Dad look at the ambulance. It had the proper sticker on the side door and the back doors.

To be honest I don’t really look at ambulances but never thought about one because well I don’t (shrug)

Anyone else ever see this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, can't say I have ever seen one posted. But its common knowledge that they will disarm you in the ambulance for their safety, and if they forget to do it the hospital will, and if the hospital forgets to do it they are morons.

Per my brother the nurse, they do have protocol for securing emergency patient weapons.

Sort of funny if you think about it. If you’re on a stretcher you enter the ambulance backwards and you’re not able to read anything except something posted on the ceiling. For a patient it’s not conspicuously posted.

Paramedics and EMTs are government employees like LEOs are so it would constitute entrapment if charged.

You are incorrect about being government employees. The are licensed by the state, but doesn't mean you are employed by the state/government body. Trust me, if I was, I would have a much nicer pension, but we were privately owned.

Paramedics and EMTs are government employees like LEOs are so it would constitute entrapment if charged.

Wut!?

Entrapment if charged for what? Paramedics, regardless of their employer do not have any law enforcement powers. Therefore they cannot 'entrap'.

At my department the policy is that we will not let any firearms onto our ambulances. We request the carrier to leave the firearm at home if at home, to lock it in their vehicle if they're at work, or to allow one of our PD to take custody of it until they are released from the hospital. They just have to go to the PD to claim it. IF they're in legal possession.

The fourth choice is to not avail themselves of our services. Once they get to the hospital, if they're carrying then they're in violation of the Criminal Protection Zone statute.

Wut!?

Entrapment if charged for what? Paramedics, regardless of their employer do not have any law enforcement powers. Therefore they cannot 'entrap'.

At my department the policy is that we will not let any firearms onto our ambulances. We request the carrier to leave the firearm at home if at home, to lock it in their vehicle if they're at work, or to allow one of our PD to take custody of it until they are released from the hospital. They just have to go to the PD to claim it. IF they're in legal possession.

The fourth choice is to not avail themselves of our services. Once they get to the hospital, if they're carrying then they're in violation of the Criminal Protection Zone statute.

What happens if the cops are an hour away and the patient bleeding and is unable to secure it in a vehicle or house? Are you required to let the patient bleed to death waiting for the police to show up. It would be ironic if an off-duty cop with no other cops nearby ended up being a victim of your policy as described by you. Such a policy has the potential of developing animosity if your company lets the wrong person die for being armed.

Wut!?

How is an unconscious person capable of refusing your service? Are you required to delay treatment of an unconscious person until the police show up? Would you be forced to resort to abandoning the firearm in the street or on the sidewalk if the wait for a cop would be too long?

Wut!?

What happens if the cops are an hour away and the patient bleeding and is unable to secure it in a vehicle or house? Are you required to let the patient bleed to death waiting for the police to show up. It would be ironic if an off-duty cop with no other cops nearby ended up being a victim of your policy as described by you. Such a policy has the potential of developing animosity if your company lets the wrong person die for being armed.

Well, you're talking Policy vs practice. In the scenario you mention I know I would offer to take custody of that firearm for the patient and wait until the police arrive. If they refuse to allow that option I guess I'd have to treat them until the police arrive or the patient passes out. Once they pass out it becomes implied consent and now I can do whatever the patient needs me to do.

I don't like it but we have restrictions as well. Let's say we transported the person with the gun to the hospital. They still couldn't enter the hospital with the gun so they'd have to relinquish it anyway. We are not permitted by policy to take or accept someone's firearm but we are also not permitted to allow firearms in the ambulances. I think as the officer in charge I'd be willing to defend that decision.

Wut!?

Well, you're talking Policy vs practice. In the scenario you mention I know I would offer to take custody of that firearm for the patient and wait until the police arrive.

Would the patient get to the hospital faster if they let you take possession of a firearm or would they have to wait until the police arrive since every second counts

Wut!?

Well, you're talking Policy vs practice. In the scenario you mention I know I would offer to take custody of that firearm for the patient and wait until the police arrive.

Would the patient get to the hospital faster if they let you take possession of a firearm or would they have to wait until the police arrive since every second counts

I can't answer for every scenario... My town is fortunate in that PD accompanies us on all runs and for state and county response municipal PD will come out as well fora faster response. Towns in more rural areas may not have that luxury but they also may not have goofy policies either.

Paramedics don't have the luxury or the training to be able to discern whether the guy with the gun is a bad guy or not. Plus, we don't want any accidental discharges in our ambulances either. The firearm should be secured, don't you think?

Also, not every case is an 'every second counts' case. In most cases a ten-fifteen minute wait for an officer to arrive is not unreasonable.

In most cases a ten-fifteen minute wait for an officer to arrive is not unreasonable.

hopefully no one's death will be attributed to a 15 minute wait especially since some serious diseases may appear to be a minor ailment. I would hate to be the CEO of this ambulance company and having to explain why the policy controbuted to preventable deaths of people.

Archived