Downstater headed to Chicago for the weekend Cards/Cubs

bcook619

So i live in a STL suburb and Im headed north for the weekend. My first trip to Chicago in several years. Going to catch the Cards/Cubs game Saturday. My question is : Should I even bother to bring my CCW weapon along? Ill be staying in a hotel that I do not know if its posted. Cant have it at the game or most touristy places. Is it worth bringing just to lock in the car for the weekend or the hotel?

ps. Cards will of course destroy the cubs this weekend.

Here is my take on it and flame away!

NO ONE should go to chitcago for any reason. You should keep your tourist/business money away from that place. By giving them your money you are allowing the powers that wanna be to stay in power and ruin this state. Every dime you spend up there is used against us down here. There are plenty of other places to go watch a ball game that are not trying to kill our freedom. We should let that place wither on the vine and get rid of the rulers.

And I agree, I think the Cardinals will whip the Cubs. We got a Cubs fan at church and he catches it all the time. But he is true to his cubbies!

I would take the gun and carry where ever I can. Also have a good secure safe in the vehicle to lock the gun up when you have to. Expect someone to get in the vehicle so anything lose might walk!

So i live in a STL suburb and Im headed north for the weekend. My first trip to Chicago in several years. Going to catch the Cards/Cubs game Saturday. My question is : Should I even bother to bring my CCW weapon along? Ill be staying in a hotel that I do not know if its posted. Cant have it at the game or most touristy places. Is it worth bringing just to lock in the car for the weekend or the hotel?

ps. Cards will of course destroy the cubs this weekend.

When you say you live in a STL suburb, does that mean you live in IL or MO? Keep in mind, if you live in MO your MO CC permit is not recognized in IL (no permits are recognized in IL except IL permits). Depending on where you live (which permit you have) will determine where you can carry. If MO resident, you are pretty much restricted to your car.

If by "downstater" you mean you actually live in IL (I assume so, but did not want to give bad advice if you live in MO) -- as do I -- then I would definately bring it if you MUST go to CHI. Post #2 pretty much sums-up my feelings.

Post #3 is the best advice if you must go.

What hotel?

I'd bring it. It's totally fine to walk the streets with it, and as for places you can't carry, leave it cased at the hotel when you go to the ballgame and watch for the "no guns" signs. If you see a "no guns" sign, don't give them your business. And if someone is with you, have them go in and hand the manager a "no guns no money" card.

Also, good point raised above re: MO vs IL

To clarify, I live in an illinois suburb, Monroe County, and do have my IL CCW ( one of the first ones to get it) . Ive never been to Wrigley so im excited about that. I dont plan on hitting the south side to score any crack but trouble can find you anywhere. After carrying it for so many months it will/would feel almost naked without a holster on!

Yes Ty I verified the old will! lol

The crack and heroin will be just north of the Eisenhower in the K street exits east of Cicero Ave. Easy access for suburbanites. And they generally don't harm clients...

To bring a gun or not to bring a gun. If I were doing that trip, I'd want it for (find it most useful and hassle free during) the travel part. If you are hitting entertainment spots other than Wrigley, It won't be much use to you. Locked up in a locked car is probably OK... It might be a kick to wander around downtown while carrying.

You might want to think through what your plans are...the ballpark is an obvious GFZ as are all of the bars in Wrigleyville....if you are going to go out drinking the firearm probably makes no sense. As for securing it....does you hotel have safes in the room...you might want to check. I wouldn't leave it in the car for anything in the world.....cars get broken into in that neighborhood all the time...and the hassle of having to report a stolen firearm will ruin the weekend.

As for staying out of Chicago completely......that's not easy to do assuming a person has interests in culture, finance, or technology......the reality of the situation is that Chicago is 48% larger than the 2nd through 20th largest cities in Illinois combined. The reality of the situation is if you can conduct your life entirely over the internet and in a small town...if that is what you prefer congrats....I am sure that there are plenty of decent folks that are willing to live that way. Unfortunately, some of us have need or want to engage with some of the institutions, businesses, etc that don't exist anywhere in the state outside of Chicago. I am certainly not going to let the vermin and thugs deprive me of the ability to do what I need to do an enjoy. That requires three things:

• A willingness to be smart, take appropriate precautions where possible, but not let "them" win through intimidation and my own frustration.
  • A continued effort to do what can be done to get the statute, regulations and implementation of procedures that permit people to legally protect themselves where they need to go. The Orange line robbery is a great example.......the law needs to be changed and I have let my views on the subject be known in many places...however, I still use public transportation in Chicago six or seven times a week..or a 24 hour basis and am not going to be deterred....they aren't going to control my life.
  • With continued effort, the political climate may change......despite everything I have had to deal with.....there are more aspects to my life than 2A issues and I am not going to be forced to move from a place that has numerous compelling reasons to stay in due to a single issue.

Everyone is clearly free to make their own choice. However, the reality is Chicago....Cook County and the Chicago Metro SMSA by any measure has and will continue to have sufficient population to control most of the destiny of Illinois. HB 183 was a very rare exception that proves that it is possible to succeed with concentrated effort and we need to continue to make that happen.

Just for kicks....here is the calculation for 20 largest cities by population in Illinois:

2,695,598 Chicago city Aurora city 197,899 Rockford city 152,871 Joliet city 147,433 Naperville city 141,853 Springfield city 116,250 Peoria city 115,007 Elgin city 108,188 Waukegan city 89,078 Cicero town 83,891 Champaign city 81,055 Bloomington city 76,610 Decatur city 76,122 Arlington Heights village 75,101 Evanston city 74,486 Schaumburg village 74,227 Bolingbrook village 73,366 Palatine village 68,557 Skokie village 64,784 1,816,778 1.483724484

Enjoy the weekend.

As for staying out of Chicago completely......that's not easy to do assuming a person has interests in culture, finance, or technology......the reality of the situation is that Chicago is 48% larger than the 2nd through 20th largest cities in Illinois combined. The reality of the situation is if you can conduct your life entirely over the internet and in a small town...if that is what you prefer congrats....I am sure that there are plenty of decent folks that are willing to live that way. Unfortunately, some of us have need or want to engage with some of the institutions, businesses, etc that don't exist anywhere in the state outside of Chicago. I am certainly not going to let the vermin and thugs deprive me of the ability to do what I need to do .

i have lived in IL for 34 years. I have yet to have a reason to have to go to Chicago. I'm very proud if that. When my employer wanted to send me for training I opted for Kansas City, Mo instead. Any "cultural" experience I have desired has been easy to experience in St Louis.

I have no intention if ever going to Chicago either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for staying out of Chicago completely......that's not easy to do assuming a person has interests in culture, finance, or technology......the reality of the situation is that Chicago is 48% larger than the 2nd through 20th largest cities in Illinois combined. The reality of the situation is if you can conduct your life entirely over the internet and in a small town...if that is what you prefer congrats....I am sure that there are plenty of decent folks that are willing to live that way. Unfortunately, some of us have need or want to engage with some of the institutions, businesses, etc that don't exist anywhere in the state outside of Chicago. I am certainly not going to let the vermin and thugs deprive me of the ability to do what I need to do .

i have lived in IL for 34 years. I have yet to have a reason to have to go to Chicago. I'm very proud if that. When my employer wanted to send me for training I opted for Kansas City, Mo instead. Any "cultural" experience I have desired has been easy to experience in St Louis.

I agree.

When I choose to NOT go to Chicago, it isn't a "they win" situation. It is a "I'm not going to give them my business" situation. That, and it is one of the most corrupt cities in the nation. Culture or not, technology or not, I'm finding somewhere else to go.

Plus, when someone starts talking "culture", I start to think of some elitist with a Thurston Howell III voice acting like they are better than someone who does not choose the big city life. Living outside of Chicago doesn't mean we are cutoff from society.

I just laugh at the thought of covering for a city in the name of "culture". Chicago is a corrupt cesspool. Nothing more. If more people stood up and walked away from corruption like this, there would be more options (culture, technology, etc.). Eventually, businesses would figure out that there is a demand in other areas.

I agree.

When I choose to NOT go to Chicago, it isn't a "they win" situation. It is a "I'm not going to give them my business" situation. That, and it is one of the most corrupt cities in the nation. Culture or not, technology or not, I'm finding somewhere else to go.

Plus, when someone starts talking "culture", I start to think of some elitist with a Thurston Howell III voice acting like they are better than someone who does not choose the big city life. Living outside of Chicago doesn't mean we are cutoff from society.

I just laugh at the thought of covering for a city in the name of "culture". Chicago is a corrupt cesspool. Nothing more. If more people stood up and walked away from corruption like this, there would be more options (culture, technology, etc.). Eventually, businesses would figure out that there is a demand in other areas.

Definitely. My small town offers a fantastic lifestyle. When I need something I'm less than hour from collinsville or Springfield. I would much rather drive less than an hour for things and have the quality of life that my small town offers. I surely don't feel like I have missed anything.

To clarify, I live in an illinois suburb, Monroe County, and do have my IL CCW ( one of the first ones to get it) . Ive never been to Wrigley so im excited about that. I dont plan on hitting the south side to score any crack but trouble can find you anywhere. After carrying it for so many months it will/would feel almost naked without a holster on!

Bring your gun, and bear in mind that the police district around Wrigley Field leads the city in number of armed robberies - yes even more than in the south and west sides, robbers go where the money is.

Wrigley, btw, is a dump. They don't even have urinals in the bathrooms, you pee in a long trough like they did 100 years ago.

Bring your gun, and bear in mind that the police district around Wrigley Field leads the city in number of armed robberies - yes even more than in the south and west sides, robbers go where the money is.

Wrigley, btw, is a dump. They don't even have urinals in the bathrooms, you pee in a long trough like they did 100 years ago.

I thought that was part of the old school charm of Wrigley Field.

For what its worth, i live in chicago and i never leave home without carrying. For the most part, unless youre looking at going to lots of wrigleyville bars, you should be able to carry besides the ballpark. And as mentioned by another poster, wrigleyville is pretty bad for robberies and such, so id bring it if i was in your scenerio. As far as the hotel, FOID transport it when it comes to that.

I agree.

Definitely. My small town offers a fantastic lifestyle. When I need something I'm less than hour from collinsville or Springfield. I would much rather drive less than an hour for things and have the quality of life that my small town offers. I surely don't feel like I have missed anything.

This is exactly what I was getting at in my response. I am glad that you all were able to put it into better words. Only time I have been to Chicago is when I had to fly through there for work. I did not have a choice then.

Gentlemen....I was very careful not to be critical of or disparage your way of life...however. the comments with respect to culture and business opportunity are REDNECK IGNORANT....feel free to stay where you are and don't bother to explore a larger world....thankfully....my world is a bit different...the idea of retirement from a civil service job earning $70K is comical....in 1983 I started at a $65K base and by 1993 was earning $450K/year....and the ride has only gotten better. I work with taxes and financial advisory work...don't manufacture anything......some may disdain...too bad...welcome to the world....I respect your right to live where you do and accept the strictures you do...but, don't you dare decide that I don't have the right to make choices...it pays for $5K 1911s and other toys...and I won't ever have to worry about paying a bill....each of us picks a way of life...I accept your choices don't mock mine

Gentlemen....I was very careful not to be critical of or disparage your way of life...however. the comments with respect to culture and business opportunity are REDNECK IGNORANT....feel free to stay where you are and don't bother to explore a larger world....thankfully....my world is a bit different...the idea of retirement from a civil service job earning $70K is comical....in 1983 I started at a $65K base and by 1993 was earning $450K/year....and the ride has only gotten better. I work with taxes and financial advisory work...don't manufacture anything......some may disdain...too bad...welcome to the world....I respect your right to live where you do and accept the strictures you do...but, don't you dare decide that I don't have the right to make choices...it pays for $5K 1911s and other toys...and I won't ever have to worry about paying a bill....each of us picks a way of life...I accept your choices don't mock mine

Redneck ignorant? Gee I wonder why people downstate feel the way they do about Chicagoans? Explore a bigger world? I've been to 47 states and two other countries. I am bilingual. I have some cultural experience. Just because I choose small town life doesn't make me poor and stupid.

The fact is no one disparaged you. You started the cultural speak. We responded.

I find it funny that you immediately bring up economic issues, ASSuming that we are all poor ignorant country folk. That shows ignorance all right, YOUR ignorance.

So, climb down off your high horse and do some apologizing because your statement was rude, inappropriate, and uncalled for.

I think you are a better person than that and I give you the benefit of doubt. Perhaps you are having a bad day or something because that post seems pretty out if character for you.

So, climb down off your high horse and do some apologizing because your statement was rude, inappropriate, and uncalled for. I think you are a better person than that and I give you the benefit of doubt. Perhaps you are having a bad day or something because that post seems pretty out if character for you.
Agreed... how did a discussion about a weekend trip to Chicago turn into a lecture about culture, finance, technology and redneck ignorance for being satisfied with $70K/year?I know people who are perfectly happy with MUCH less, and it doesn't make them ignorant.

To the OP....just do yourself a favor. Get the heck out of there by nightfall if you can. It gets kind of crappy around there the later it gets. I just drove around Wrigleyville for the first time in 20 years. I was amazed at what is going on down there. Nothing but restaurants and bars for blocks. Party time for sure. Just keep your wits about you and get back to the hotel.

What fudd is saying is to not mock our way of life as he respects yours. If you choose to not bother with chicago then so be it. The city won't miss you or your money at all. We all rag on Chicago because of the political corruption and the crazy gang bangers, crime, etc but that isn't all the city is. I have had a great life and upbringing in this city. Even managed to tow the family line and remain a conservative. Please don't think that the entire city and all it's institutions are Bleeding heart liberals. It's not. There are indeed conservatives and conservative businesses here. If you still choose not to bother then carry on......

What fudd is saying is to not mock our way of life as he respects yours. If you choose to not bother with chicago then so be it. The city won't miss you or your money at all. We all rag on Chicago because of the political corruption and the crazy gang bangers, crime, etc but that isn't all the city is. I have had a great life and upbringing in this city. Even managed to tow the family line and remain a conservative. Please don't think that the entire city and all it's institutions are Bleeding heart liberals. It's not. There are indeed conservatives and conservative businesses here. If you still choose not to bother then carry on......

No what he said is that he is a wealthy cultured person and we are all poor ignorant rednecks. That's pretty well word for word what he said.

If he wanted to say what you just said, he would have. You articulated it very well. He, on the other hand, made a highly inappropriate and offensive post.

No what he said is that he is a wealthy cultured person and we are all poor ignorant rednecks. That's pretty well word for word what he said.

If he wanted to say what you just said, he would have. You articulated it very well. He, on the other hand, made a highly inappropriate and offensive post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

For some reason, my iPad makes this look all screwy.....

It seems like all the anti chicago talk was upsetting him as (I am assuming here)he interpreted your comments to be negative in that you were trying to steer the op clear of the city. I can't read minds but Fudd usually doesn't get upset like that, well at least as long as I've been a member here.

I understand why all the Chicago bashing got to him. What I don't understand is why y'all have to continue with it. I enjoy the simplicities of rural life. Or semi rural life. Not too keen on suburbia... That's just me.

Y'all could pitch in a bit and help us out y'know. Out state gets FAR more from Chicago than Chicago ever gets back. We will always have that highfalutin' cultural stuff and you never will. I'll swap you for a clean fishing spot sometime. I'll bring kayaks, fresh eggs and the best BBQ rub you'll ever taste.

Back to the OP... Whatever ya do, don't wear your Cardinal colors. Them Cubbie fans will kick your assets all the way back to the bottom of the state.

Archived