Target To Ban Guns?

Thirdpower

Has anyone received a response back from Target yet?

I spoke to one of the customer support supervisors on the phone. She was not aware of any plans to put up "no guns" sign, but the customer service team member did take down my info and make a note of my opinion. When a lot of people do it, it makes a difference...

It looks like OCT did another protest / rally whatever in a Target parking lot this past weekend:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/target-open-carry_n_5500023.html

I sent Target an email a few minutes ago (pictures were included but omitted here):

Hello,

I am a Chicago resident and have shopped at the south loop Target regularly for several years, and am pleased with the products and prices.

It is easy to see how these unusual protests with rifles may frighten some customers, leading to lost sales. It’s also hard to see how Open Carry Texas would win over observers to its cause this way – everyone loses.

At the same time, there are millions of Target customers who wish to protect themselves with a concealed firearm - one that is not visible to, and thus would not disturb, other customers. We carry privately, quietly, and peacefully, and in most states have been through multiple background checks.

Alternatively to prohibiting all firearms - which makes everyone more vulnerable to criminals - could Target simply deal with another protest as it does with any disruptive customer - ask them to leave, and arrest them if they don’t? The possibility of customers having concealed firearms is a deterrent to criminals to seek other victims. Many recent high profile shootings have occurred in locations which prohibited all firearms. No one wants something like that again.

Please continue to allow quiet, law abiding customers to continue carrying concealed and out of sight.

Best regards,
-transplant

Illinois requires:

• 16 hours of training
• Background check for FOID
• Background check for conceal carry license
• Background check for firearm purchase from FFL (federal requirement)

Photos of me:

• Without concealed firearm
• With concealed firearm
• The concealed firearm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread, but I wonder if all the fuss was over nothing. While Target may have told some organization that they hope their patrons do not carry guns in their stores, they have not posted any signs, at least at the two Target stores here in Rockford. I had reason to go to both today, and the only sign I saw was that the stores are NO Smoking facilities.

They're trying to stay out of the issue. Think of target as a corporate version of someone in the middle on the issue. They're not pro-gun, they're not anti-gun, and on top of it all, they just don't care about guns. They're a business trying to make a profit. If they take a stance one way or the other, they know they'll lose lots of customers. I'm betting they just want the debate to go away so that we can continue spending our money at their stores while packing, and Moms will continue to shop there as well, oblivious as usual.

Archived