Rural King has it's own "no sell" list

Just some guy

A few days ago I stopped at a local Rural King to pick up some ammo that was on sale. Presented my FOID to the clerk. He said "Just a sec. , I have to do a check". He went to a computer and came back saying you're OK. I asked him what he looked up. He replied that he had to check a 'no sell' list. I asked how one gets on that list. He said he didn't know but he had to check the list for all purchases. So now there is another double secret list? I get that retailers can be somewhat selective when selling firearms and ammo. What could possibly have prompted them to create a list? Just thought this was unusual. Maybe he was checking to see if my FOID was valid - don't know. Your thoughts........

I was there a few days ago , Swansea, Guy behind the counter decided to flash his concealed Sig 938 at me. I had mentioned I didn't care for the 938 so he decided to show me his. My gf and I just looked at each other and walked away. This was, mind you, after he told the previous customer he didn't have a ccw and just carried in the store.

People, its ok to keep things to yourself.

A few days ago I stopped at a local Rural King to pick up some ammo that was on sale. Presented my FOID to the clerk. He said "Just a sec. , I have to do a check". He went to a computer and came back saying you're OK. I asked him what he looked up. He replied that he had to check a 'no sell' list. I asked how one gets on that list. He said he didn't know but he had to check the list for all purchases. So now there is another double secret list? I get that retailers can be somewhat selective when selling firearms and ammo. What could possibly have prompted them to create a list? Just thought this was unusual. Maybe he was checking to see if my FOID was valid - don't know. Your thoughts........

My best guess is that they have their own list. Who knows what one has to do to get on it. Considering that no such "list" is used at Cabelas, WalMart, Bass Pro, Blaine's, etc., I think you may be slipping a little bit into tinfoil land by suspecting that this is another "double secret list". Sounds to me more like an overly cautious and perhaps a bit overreaching retailer.

Ok, so if you have ever been denied on a 4473 for a gun purchase.....even if a mistake you go on a black list at RK. When I bought my last gun there, the girls were having trouble with the system so they called this guy, he asked for my FOID and spotted my CCL card in my wallet and asked if I used it or my foid for the paperwork. I told him I used my Foid, he asked if they were the same numbers so we looked and they weren't He said he needed to re-do it with my CCL because if I hadn't gotten the new foid with matching number, my old one would come back denied and once I was denied I'd not be able to purchase there again because of " their stupid store policy" ( his words )

Ok, so if you have ever been denied on a 4473 for a gun purchase.....even if a mistake you go on a black list at RK. When I bought my last gun there, the girls were having trouble with the system so they called this guy, he asked for my FOID and spotted my CCL card in my wallet and asked if I used it or my foid for the paperwork. I told him I used my Foid, he asked if they were the same numbers so we looked and they weren't He said he needed to re-do it with my CCL because if I hadn't gotten the new foid with matching number, my old one would come back denied and once I was denied I'd not be able to purchase there again because of " their stupid store policy" ( his words )

You should be able to check the validity of your FOID on the private sale site. My FOID was issued 2011, expires 2021, CCL issued 2014, expires 2019, # is 14 + my FOID number. I did not recieve a new FOID with my FCCL. I've run my own FOID and purchased a gun or two (Don't tell Mrs. Abolt) with nary a problem.

Which one? Kinda curious since there are two different companies that have "Rural Kings" in Southern IL/ Metro east.

Never had an issue with the Waterloo/Collinsville locations.

There are two types of Rural King stores. There are "corporate" stores like the one near Fairmont racetrack. Then there are "franchise" stores. The one in Swansea/Belleville is a franchise store.

ABOLT243

Good question, how is Straw Purchase defined?

Well one way is if we hear two people discussing the money, (do you want me to pay that much?)

Man and a woman walk in and the girl asks to buy a 40. She is asked which one,she turns and ask the guy behind her "what kind of gun do you want honey?

Group of guys come in with their pants hanging down below their a** with one girl in the middle of the group. They walk around the store for 15 minutes pointing at different guns and whispering to the girl. She comes up to the counter very nervous asking for Glock. Each time we ask a question about which one, she turns to the group and asks the question to them.

Yes we see this every day, and yes we contact the police. To protect ourselves and our freedom we make a list of no sell. It's not to harass law abiding citizens, it's for us to keep being one.

ABOLT243

Good question, how is Straw Purchase defined?

Man and a woman walk in and the girl asks to buy a 40. She is asked which one,she turns and ask the guy behind her "what kind of gun do you want honey?

That one would be difficult to prove says right on the back of the 4473 bonified gifts are not considered straw purchases.

Glad my wife and I didn't buy her first CC gun from you. Knowing that her gun would serve as a backup CC gun for me when asked that question my wife (who didn't have a brand preference) turned to me and asked me that vary question.

Glad my wife and I didn't buy her first CC gun from you. Knowing that her gun would serve as a backup CC gun for me when asked that question my wife (who didn't have a brand preference) turned to me and asked me that vary question.

yup,

That one would be difficult to prove says right on the back of the 4473 bonified gifts are not considered straw purchases.

When both are present, most stores would sell a gift certificate to the woman and then have the man fill out the paperwork and make the actual firearm purchase.

The NSSF advises dealers to do this.

Warface, I never said we don't contact Law Enforcement.... we do each and every time.

You should ask what LE does with the info?????..

They make a list so they can keep count!!!!!!

You never said you did contact LE. Your post only says you add someones name to a store list if it seems there might be hints of straw-buying going on. Pardon me.

Actually our IOI (ATF Industry Operations Investigator) requires us to keep a denial log.

He would not be very happy if we did not keep it updated nor reference it before a purchase.

And if we do not keep our IOI happy, at the very least we could be out of business.

You do not get into the denial log for invalid FOID numbers, cancelled numbers, lost stolen cards, etc.

Actual ISP background denials are fairly rare, compared to 'invalid information' results.

There are ways to get removed from the denial log, we have had more than one customer have to go to the courthouse and pull their documents from the court case, deal with the state and then bring them in to us.

Once we have proof that things are cleared up we can then initiate another background check.

If the state then approves them, they are obviously removed from the denial log.

As far as everybody getting upset over the straw purchase, stop and think for a minute-

There are plenty of clues that FFL's look for, I don't know of too many that would deny a purchase just because a husband offered advice to his wife about purchasing a gun.

But we might ask him for his FOID.

Now with that group of people, all looking and telling the one person what to buy, when no one else in the group has their FOID (and cannot prove out of state residence) do you not think that raises some valid flags?

While bonafide gifts are legal, it is a slippery slope for an FFL.

Even having a couple purchase their own firearms, if one gets instant approval and one gets delayed we have been instructed to delay them both, because the delay may turn into a denial.

I don't have to like it, but I do have to follow it.

FFL's have to follow the rules set up for them.

Archived